• Thread: When a 1960 South African Crown (5/-) is Graded and this Crown is the cracked die var (9 Posts)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default When a 1960 South African Crown (5/-) is Graded and this Crown is the cracked die var

When a 1960 South African Crown (5/-) is Graded and this Crown is the cracked die variety, should the "cracked die" be mentioned on the slab?
    My age is but an irrelevant number !
    Items I am selling.

Post Thanks / Like

Your question is related to the recent discussion on "Scarce Coin Watch" about other Union die varieties. In my opinion, the answer to your question is no. Here are my reasons:

First, I believe that NGC and PCGS usually only add this attribution for recognized varieties. By "recognized", I am referring to those listed in Krause or Hern (for South African coins) or those listed in "recognized" reference guides such as the Sheldon, Overton and VAM for US coins or Gilboy for the Spanish pillars I collect. There are some exceptions such as the 1938 6D profiled in that discussion but I do not know when an exception is made or the criteria.

Second, there are plenty of coins with die cracks in them, whether from South Africa or elsewhere, and in my opinion at least, there is nothing particularly significant about their existence. The main motivation that I can see for someone wanting it attributed is so that they can try to claim that it is "rare" (as if anyone should even care) and pass it on to some unsuspecting buyer at an astronomical and absurd price. Like that 1945/3 NGC 3D that I saw listed on BoB recently for R12,500. That is a listed variety but I would probably not even pay R1250 for it, much less almost $2,000 USD.

Third, depending upon the definition used, die cracks may not actually be "die varieties" at all. I have never discussed this with anyone but most of these dies probably cracked during coin striking. The only recognized die crack as a variety that I recall is one of the US large cent dates, but then those coins are widely collected by die variety and many (depending upon the scarcity) carry substantial premiums. It is listed in the Sheldon reference with a specific variety number.
    Last edited by jwither; 28-04-12 at 04:38.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks JW for your very comprehensive answer, most informative. I have a few dozen of these 1960 Crowns and about half of them show Die Cracks!
    Items I am selling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alloway65 View Post
    Many thanks JW for your very comprehensive answer, most informative. I have a few dozen of these 1960 Crowns and about half of them show Die Cracks!
    Hi Alloway65,
    Can I ask you to post a picture of 1 of your 1960 crowns showing the die crack. I personally collect the 1960 series of coins and I don't think I've actually seen what a die crack looks like. So if you could post a picture, it would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Keane

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Keane,
    I forgot how to insert pictures on the Forum.
    This picture was taken through the slab.
    Hope this helps.
    Take care
    David

452156_120428161925_1960_CRN_DIE_CRACK.JPG
    Items I am selling.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 42 Shilling cracked die or what?

42Shillingobvdet.jpg

This is my first try in uploading a picture so hope it works.

Spotted this on a 42 Shilling.Is it a cracked die or mint error or what would it be called?

Does it add or detract from the coin?

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot see your picture. However, a die crack is a defect and hardly enhances the appearance of the coin. I do not know how NGC or PCGS adjust the grade for this strike but I would expect that they would assign a substantial penalty to it. These coins should be worth less than those without this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply and wonder why you cannot see the picture.I can see it.

Any tips on uploading pictures?