Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  • Thread: Question regarding excessive shipping charges (17 Posts)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question regarding excessive shipping charges

Hi all

What is considered to be the line on excessive shipping charges for an item? If I'm ordering a dress from someone within SA, where I've similarly paid between R25 and R40 for shipping from other sellers, would anyone else consider R100 to be excessive? If so, is there anyway to go about bringing it to the seller's attention, or are there other means of addressing it? I'd really like to support this seller, but it seems ridiculous to me when some of the things they're selling are actually priced lower than the shipping fee, but maybe I'm just being silly.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps this is for overnight shipping.
    Tell the seller you are interested in an item but find the shipping excessive and ask for an explanation.

Post Thanks / Like

Wondering mysel, one seller wants to charge R300 for postage via the post office.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Wondering mysel, one seller wants to charge R300 for postage via the post office.
    It is called GREEDY....VERY GREEDY!!!!
    My age is but an irrelevant number !
    Items I am selling.

Post Thanks / Like

we can wara wara weeks on end about the shipping charges but there will be sellers that make money not from the lots they sell but actually the postal fees. i refuse to buy by these sellers, look at the postal etc rates, yes add a rand or two for packaging and fuel. to combine yes R5 at most. but to send two shirts at R100 ECONO + R80 to combine!!!! Sorry not for me. maybe we must start a thread of most rediclous shipping fees charges then admin can reason with those sellers as after all they give BOB a bad name.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the BoB Wednesday R1 auctions should carry a cap on shipping charges.

R10 for FDC's and very small items that can be sent in a small envelope. No tracking, no insurance.
    R35 for registered mail with a tracking number + 2% for insurance if required.
    R60 for Speed Services + 3% for insurance if required.
    R5 maximum combining charge per additional item.

Unfortunately I am sure BoB wont go for this as most of the Chinese goods sellers would not list and BoB would loose Revenue.

I have found when buying Philatelic & Numismatic items the shipping charges are mostly reasonable!

My age is but an irrelevant number !
    Items I am selling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alloway65 View Post
    It is called GREEDY....VERY GREEDY!!!!
    Yep, seller responded that they have to insure the parcel and if it is less than R300 they will refund the buyer. I have never charged even close to that amount for insurance and delivery so I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bargain Coins View Post
    we can wara wara weeks on end about the shipping charges but there will be sellers that make money not from the lots they sell but actually the postal fees. i refuse to buy by these sellers, look at the postal etc rates, yes add a rand or two for packaging and fuel. to combine yes R5 at most. but to send two shirts at R100 ECONO + R80 to combine!!!! Sorry not for me. maybe we must start a thread of most rediclous shipping fees charges then admin can reason with those sellers as after all they give BOB a bad name.
    econo is R20 (R25 if you add in R5 for packaging)! if it's bigger than econo then around R35 for an ordinary parcel. if the buyer wants to insure then it's 2% of the value of the item. how are people creating their shipping charges?

Post Thanks / Like

If you feel the shipping is excessive please report it to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za for further investigation. Thank you.
    bidorbuy Operations Manager

Post Thanks / Like

- ATTEN ADS1022 C 25MHz Digital Oscilloscope DSO Freegift(H270544392215)

Look at this guy's shipping charges R1,500 for a 2.2kg item. Ridiculous to say the least!

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps he plans to deliver it personally and is trying to pay part of the airfare for himself to do so?
    Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
    Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Default actually not excessive

Quote Originally Posted by lilythepink View Post
    Perhaps he plans to deliver it personally and is trying to pay part of the airfare for himself to do so?
    I pay R880. for parcells of 5KG from Canada , non electronic ,

airfreight , he is paying on half a cubic ,,freight , which some airlines consider the minimum , he then has FOB to sort out and a bill of lading , because its electronic its fragile , so its probably more than for a chair etc , another example I pay 20 Euro`s for 50 gramms of spares from France ,no insurance .I would pay it for an oscilloscope without a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouse View Post
    I pay R880. for parcells of 5KG from Canada , non electronic ,

airfreight , he is paying on half a cubic ,,freight , which some airlines consider the minimum , he then has FOB to sort out and a bill of lading , because its electronic its fragile , so its probably more than for a chair etc , another example I pay 20 Euro`s for 50 gramms of spares from France ,no insurance .I would pay it for an oscilloscope without a problem.

Look at his answer!

By the way, it is shipped from China!

Your question was;
    Hi, Can you please tell me why the shipping charges are so high?
    Regards
    Miems

The answer is;
    hi there

is u can arrange cheaper shipping from china, u more than welcome to do so, i've spoken to bidorbuy and given the a written breakdown of my shipping charges and they have accepted and acknowledged it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope buyers check the seller's shipping costs before they place a bid!
    Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
    Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiemsJewels View Post
    - ATTEN ADS1022 C 25MHz Digital Oscilloscope DSO Freegift(H270544392215)

Look at this guy's shipping charges R1,500 for a 2.2kg item. Ridiculous to say the least!
    They also want more than just cash... "Alldefect items must be reported and returned within 72hrs after singing for theproduct"
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmouse View Post
    I pay R880. for parcells of 5KG from Canada ,..... I would pay it for an oscilloscope without a problem.
    One of the issues for me is that defects in electronic items are often only detectable after using them for several hours or days (or longer). This crowd ask for defects to be reported within three days of signing for it. Phew, big risks with this trader methinks!
    "Truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."