No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to "date" items found

Hi all

I am hoping that someone "out there" can lead me in the right direction with regards to finding out more about the below.

My brother-in-law is often involved with some minor excavation work with regards to his job here in Port Elizabeth. He has come home with the following very interesting items recently:

* Excavation of approx 1-2m deep near Grahamstown Road in Deal Party produced two 'conical' seashells (+-9cm long) which look pretty darn old! The soil has "compacted" inside the shells and the exterior shows the 'age'. These shells are of particular interest as the sea is now a good few hundred metres away from the site - if not up to a kilometre away!

* Excavation of approx 1-2m deep in lower Albany Road produced three 'clay' or pottery jars (glazed) which are light brown / tan in colour - sizes from +-7cm to 14cm high. Bases are partially glazed. All in very good condition, with the exception of the smallest one where there are a few chips out of the "lip". Also at this site, a glass bottle stopper was found with the lettering of "LEA & PERRINS". Research has indicated that the glass stopper was from the L&P Worcestershire Sauce bottle from around 1910 to 1920!

If there is anyone who could suggest where we could take these items to be "evaluated" or inspected, your advice would be sincerely appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Janet - Cali Craft
    Click here for great deals!

Good morning, Janet. I think the study of shells is "concology" - perhaps a check on Google could help you identify these shells. If not, take them to your nearest Museum or, perhaps, go to the Ichthyology & Fisheries Dept at UMM University (if they don't have such a Department, then Rhodes University does!)
    Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
    Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali Craft View Post
      Hi all

I am hoping that someone "out there" can lead me in the right direction with regards to finding out more about the below.

My brother-in-law is often involved with some minor excavation work with regards to his job here in Port Elizabeth. He has come home with the following very interesting items recently:

* Excavation of approx 1-2m deep near Grahamstown Road in Deal Party produced two 'conical' seashells (+-9cm long) which look pretty darn old! The soil has "compacted" inside the shells and the exterior shows the 'age'. These shells are of particular interest as the sea is now a good few hundred metres away from the site - if not up to a kilometre away!

* Excavation of approx 1-2m deep in lower Albany Road produced three 'clay' or pottery jars (glazed) which are light brown / tan in colour - sizes from +-7cm to 14cm high. Bases are partially glazed. All in very good condition, with the exception of the smallest one where there are a few chips out of the "lip". Also at this site, a glass bottle stopper was found with the lettering of "LEA & PERRINS". Research has indicated that the glass stopper was from the L&P Worcestershire Sauce bottle from around 1910 to 1920!

If there is anyone who could suggest where we could take these items to be "evaluated" or inspected, your advice would be sincerely appreciated!

Many thanks,
      Janet - Cali Craft
      Can I have the address so that I can go dig there Heehee
      VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

I'd like to join the excavation team too, please! When do we leave? ;)
        Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
        Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

Working...
        X