Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on John Biccard chess set

I have a John Biccard chess set that I might be interested in listing and am looking for advice as to what it may be worth.

The set was purchased from John himself in Cape Town in the early 80's. It has never been used and has been packed away in a wooden box all this time.

Also, does anyone know where John Biccard is now?

Thanks
    "retailrush"
    VIEW MY ITEMS!!

I tried doing a little research on this, apparently his Chess sets are highly sought after, so careful that you get a good valuation.
    Art, Stunning Ceramics, Jewellery Visit my Bob Shoppe, Antiques, Books, Music, Hand Basins and More

Comment

Have a look at this link.
      How about a picture of your set??
      Last edited by admin; 14-01-10, 17:59. Reason: Removed external link
      Art, Stunning Ceramics, Jewellery Visit my Bob Shoppe, Antiques, Books, Music, Hand Basins and More

Comment

Originally posted by JPBon View Post
        Have a look at this link.
        How about a picture of your set??
        Thanks for this link - I did pick this up from Google as well and that's about all I could find - hardly anything about John Biccard at all really which I find very unusual.

I'll post a photo asap. ThanX
        Last edited by admin; 14-01-10, 18:00. Reason: Removed external link
        VIEW MY ITEMS!!

Comment

Photo's

Here are some photo's of the chess set...

What do you think JP?
          VIEW MY ITEMS!!

Comment

Think it is beautiful, but you better do some serious research into its value before ever listing it.

Comment

Originally posted by JPBon View Post
              Think it is beautiful, but you better do some serious research into its value before ever listing it.
              I agree. :) Maybe I should take it to a few antique shops for a valuation.. having said that, it's not really an antique per se - but I am sure it is collectable...

Anyway, we will see.

Thanks for your input JP - have a great evening catching the "baddies" :D
              VIEW MY ITEMS!!

Comment

Originally posted by retailrush View Post
                I have a John Biccard chess set that I might be interested in listing and am looking for advice as to what it may be worth.

The set was purchased from John himself in Cape Town in the early 80's. It has never been used and has been packed away in a wooden box all this time.

Thanks
                "retailrush"
                I believe that John Biccard passed away a few years ago. I bought the Chess Set many years ago whilst on a visit to SA but I can't remember how much I paid for it. I didn't buy the chess board that, from memory, was also of "crushed marble" as it was fairly heavy and would have been a problem to transport to the UK.

If you get a valuation, please can you leave a message for me please so that I can adjust my insurance if neccessary?

I believe that John Biccard also wrote a book in 1972 entitled "Insulting the Pawn" which was around the time he was working on "prototype" designs for the chess set.

It is very difficult to get any information on John as he was a very private person; I met him once in the mid 1970's after I "discovered" his work and in conversation he did mention his sister so hopefully she is still with us.
                Last edited by peterlane; 15-01-10, 16:17.

Comment

Thanks Peter - that's very interesting. Is your Chess Set the same as mine? I will definitely keep you posted with any information I can find.

Wendy
                  VIEW MY ITEMS!!

Comment

John Biccard Chess Set

Hello Wendy

My chess set is the same as yours at least it was when I last saw it! It was placed in our loft many years ago for storage and now it is a case of ferreting through boxes within boxes to find it. My wife assures me "it is there somewhere".

Regarding the book by John Biccard "Insulting The Pawn"; it was published by J. Burn Wood 1972 "Watergang", Stellenbosch, Cape and has a reference to The Grand Master Boris The Russian Bear which I take to mean Boris Spassky. It is out of print but I managed to locate and purchase a copy from a bookshop in New Zealand.

It does not look like a conventional book; I would describe it as 11 sheets of A4 sized pages "sandwiched" between 2 A4 sized cardboard covers in "Landscape" orientation. In Johns own words, it describes his thoughts during the process of carving his 6 prototype Chess Sets. It does give an insight into his personality with some amusing "expressions" and poetical statements. There must be more information "out there somewhere" on his career but Mr Google hasn't responded to my word-searches as I would have hoped.

Best regards

Peter

Comment

8 Original Pieces Available

Would anyone on this thread be interested in purchasing 8 original pieces of the John Biccard Collection? All 8 pieces are in great condition and have their original certificates too!

Comment

Originally posted by retailrush View Post

Thanks
                        "retailrush"
                        John Biccard has a new website: Home | Biccard

Comment

Wanted: John Biccard Sculptures

Originally posted by burnwood View Post
                          John Biccard has a new website: Home | Biccard
                          If anyone has any John Biccard sculptures or knows where I can get some then please let me know. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X