No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60's Encyclopedias

Hi Guys

I have a set of 10 Old 1960 Encyclopedias for Sale @ R 550.00 . Is that reasonable

Pages in good condition

Edited by Sir John Hammerton , Editor of the Universal History of the World , The Second World War

Please let me know if the price is high.

I think maybe you are being a little too hopeful. They'll also make a heavy parcel. Today's encyclopaedias have all the info and more in them! But good luck with your efforts to sell.
    Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
    Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

Depends on what encyclopaedia it is, but personally I also think the price is too high.
      Obligatory link to my listings.

Comment

You can "Google" anything you want in a matter of seconds!
        Items I am selling.

The tongue weighs practically nothing..
        Some people can't hold it!!

Comment

Actually, many of these encyclopaedias contain information not accessible through Google.
          Obligatory link to my listings.

Comment

Old encyclopaedias are great as décor items. Specially if you want to create an old style study/library effect and your customer does not have the "authentic-looking" books, or needs to augment a collection. These are usually available at R 5.00 to 15.00 each from many flea-markets/car boot sales.

Some do have collectors value - like a complete set of 1800's Encyclopaedia Britannica, complete with the original revolving bookcase/reading stand that it was sold with, etc.

@RISadler - try http://books.google.com/ there is some 24,800 full versions of encyclopaedia on just about any topic available - a wonderful resource of knowledge
            Last edited by Technik; 22-04-10, 11:37.
            Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.
            My Bid or Buy Items

Comment

Originally posted by Technik View Post
              Old encyclopaedias are great as décor items. Specially if you want to create an old style study/library effect and your customer does not have the "authentic-looking" books, or needs to augment a collection. These are usually available at R 5.00 to 15.00 each from many flea-markets/car boot sales.

Some do have collectors value - like a complete set of 1800's Encyclopaedia Britannica, complete with the original revolving bookcase/reading stand that it was sold with, etc.
              agree with you when it comes to that old time feel of a library or bookshelf.

VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

They rare According to google. Amazon.com sells them for 50 Pounds. I am moving out of this country one of these days. So I have to get rid of everything. Check the listing I have Reference - Old 1960 Enyclopedias for sale in White River

Comment

We sold a complete set of Britannica, I think 1970s and there were over 24 in the set.

It went for R70.......

You are going to need a real collector to walk upon your listing. That may take some time.
                  VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Originally posted by Snet View Post
                    They rare According to google. Amazon.com sells them for 50 Pounds. I am moving out of this country one of these days. So I have to get rid of everything. Check the listing I have Reference - Old 1960 Enyclopedias for sale in White River
                    No harm in trying them at that price. Just remember that the prices on Amazon and on EBay have little relevance on SA web sites.

Also, books are subject to so many criteria, unless you really study up on the subject, understand all the terms used, and know what to look for it is very difficult to estimate a price.
                    Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

Dump them - put them outside and hope someone carts them off - not worth the effort or space.

Comment

Hi Rozan, Don't know where you picked up this thread, but it is a year old ... LOL.

Check that listing, he did get R250 for the books . Just proves ... we never really know what people are looking for.
                        Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

You are SO right, mellowred. One man's junk is another man's treasure and (as geewhizz often says - don't throw anything away, ever! Put it on BoB!)
                          Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
                          Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

Working...
                          X