Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW wiper blades

I own a 1992 E34 5 series beemer. I needed a drivers side wiper blade. Easy I thought. Ha,Ha, Agents R450. I thought they were smoking mushrooms. So the fun on the net began. USA easy $5.95 each, problem postage $48.95, They are also smoking mushrooms. As we say in good ol SA, A bOER MAAK 'n plan. As the blades are 24 inches long, or 600mm metric, I bought a24inch blade from local Midas. Man easiest job I've ever done took the blade out of the old one, by opening the end clips slightly, slid in the new blade, closed clips, and BOB'S your uncle, one new wiper . So all you boffins out there, keep your expensive blades. Us DIY guys will beat you hands down every day. This change works on any vehicle. EDWARDUS:D

Mushrooms

There a number of people smoking mushroom out there i tell you...you found out the hard way huh! R450 for a wiper blade. WOW!! And i think we'll need a video lecture for "Wiper 101" as i'm sure a lot of guys would like to learn to do it themselves...:)

It's all in the mind!
    bidorbuy.co.za - Africa's Largest Online Market Place.

bidorbuy on Facebook ~ What's hot on bidorbuy

< TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE US A GOOD RATING

Comment

Good for you!!

I realized a while ago that somebody needed a small pat of my vehicle - it is a type of a sliding gadget that you can take off when assembling a roof rack. The retailer quoted me R390.00!!!!! The gadget is about 10 cm long!

I was not prepared to pay that amount - my vehicle won't let me stranded without this gadget. Silly high prices that us - the consumer - is charged
      VIEW MY ITEMS!

If it wasn't for the 'last minute', nothing would get done.

Comment

It seems that there is a correlation between the purchase price of the vehicle and the cost of replacement parts - somehow, the same part, a 610mm wiper blade costs more for the prestigious cars than for the other ones!

But not all dealerships are more expensive than the local spare-shop (including Midas) around the corner. I've had a pleasant surprise - after being told that the brake pads, wiper blade and filters is not in stock and I should try the dreaded "dealer", whilst servicing my daughter's Renault Scenic. The parts from Renault were actually cheaper than the quoted prices from Midas, and significantly so.

While this might not be the case for all parts and/or models - I now also get a price from the dealer before buying - even knobs and finicky fittings are in 70% of the cases cheaper from the dealers (Renault, GM, VW) than from a scrap-yard. I suppose it pays to shop around, and in some instances to "maak 'n plan".
        Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.
        My Bid or Buy Items

Comment

We had a ford V6 courier a few years ago, the one with the plastic timing gear. Well when this litle gear stripped we found ourselves hunting for a new camshaft, secondhand at the scrapyards =R1500, dealer price for a new part R350 :o makes you wonder
          Visit my hive!

Comment

Originally posted by EDWARDUS View Post
            I own a 1992 E34 5 series beemer. I needed a drivers side wiper blade. Easy I thought. Ha,Ha, Agents R450. I thought they were smoking mushrooms. So the fun on the net began. USA easy $5.95 each, problem postage $48.95, They are also smoking mushrooms. As we say in good ol SA, A bOER MAAK 'n plan. As the blades are 24 inches long, or 600mm metric, I bought a24inch blade from local Midas. Man easiest job I've ever done took the blade out of the old one, by opening the end clips slightly, slid in the new blade, closed clips, and BOB'S your uncle, one new wiper . So all you boffins out there, keep your expensive blades. Us DIY guys will beat you hands down every day. This change works on any vehicle. EDWARDUS:D
            I learnt this trick many years ago with my beetle. Bugs have teeny tiny little blades which are rather hard to find and back then cash was also rather hard to find. Solution, by one blade twice as long as required, cut in half and frankenstein the two pieces on the bug's old wipers :D
            Visit my hive!

Comment

Congratulations to all the DIY enthusiasts who can actually do all these weird and wonderful things. I can hardly change a lightbulb but I do have the most wonderfully technically-minded hubby who can do almost everything and anything. Lucky, lucky me.
              Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
              Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

Some e34 and e36 bmw parts are cheaper at the dealer than "Midas" , filters etc . replacing the rubber blade on a wiper is ok but the wiper also develops play as it gets old and later needs replacing . Take the e34 wiper off and get a replacement at a Mercedes dealer .... one of the c-class wipers is similar and half the price .

Comment

You should open a franchise. DIY Wipers

Comment

Working...
                  X