No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1967 Silver R1 “Pregnant” Springbok!

1967 Silver R1 “Pregnant” Springbok!
    I noticed on BoB the other day the sale of the 1967 Silver R1 “Pregnant” Springbok coin, I was a bit amused and the price realized.
    On this basis I looked through my hundreds of 1967 Silver R1’s and discovered firstly that it was a male Springbok!!!!!! Why was it not called a castrated Springbok…more appropriate name I would think…or am I missing something….I am…..with castration it is only the testicles that are removed!
    However found about fifteen coins with various degrees of missing private parts…some hardly visible even with a 10 magnification loupe…an interesting exercise!;)
    The coin on sale had a very indistinct/rough area around where the manhood should have been…even if the die set had lost a small part to my thinking the boundary lines should still be relatively clear, precise & crisp..…it has been over forty years since I did some die set designs so maybe my thinking is now a bit rusty. :(
    For my edification I would appreciate comments and views.
    Have a good day.:D
    David
    My age is but an irrelevant number !
    Items I am selling.

Originally posted by alloway65 View Post
    1967 Silver R1 “Pregnant” Springbok!

However found about fifteen coins with various degrees of missing private parts…some hardly visible even with a 10 magnification loupe…an interesting exercise!;)

Have a good day.:D
    David
    hi David
    last year I looked at my SR1 coins. Very similar oservation I found on 1967 SR1. Hope somebody will come out and shed some light.

Dulal

Comment

I am really hunting for one of the specimens. I was not completely convinced that the one that sold the other day was indeed a 'proper' pregnant sprigbok variety. Allegations of coins being tooled to give the impression that the springbok is indeed pregnant have been made. The fact that the last one sold did not have a distictive strike with a definate rough underbelly, it kept me away from the bidding. A good example if anybody has one would be a great gauge to what we need to look for when purchasing this variety.

Thanks
      Hassim
      “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Hi Hassim, Dulal,
        I would be interested to see a photo of a proper specimen as well...just for interest in my case. The rough underbelly made me suspicious as well.
        I think with a fine engraving tool and proper magnification to remove the Springbok's "manhood" would be quite easy.;)
        Take care
        David
        My age is but an irrelevant number !
        Items I am selling.

Comment

Someone got screwed?

Maybe the Springbok got pregnant because it played "hookerr" in the last rugby test against the Kiwis in New Zealand?

Obviously just a guess ...

Pierre

Comment

1967 Pregnant Springbok

Please judge for yourself. Not the best of pictures but hope it helps
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X