Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accumulation Of Coins

I have an accumulation of coins and have been thinking of having another user name to list these coins as I dont really want them on my present site.
    Is it worth listing individual coins like each individual date 1941,1942 penny etc under buy now or is it a waste of time and space on Bob?
    I must move these coins. There are more coppers--probably 75% of them.
    VIEW MY ITEMS!

Originally posted by geewhizz View Post
    I have an accumulation of coins and have been thinking of having another user name to list these coins as I dont really want them on my present site.
    Is it worth listing individual coins like each individual date 1941,1942 penny etc under buy now or is it a waste of time and space on Bob?
    I must move these coins. There are more coppers--probably 75% of them.
    Your question ultimately comes down to what incremental value you could expect to receive and the time it will require selling the coins individually versus selling them in group lots.

Personally, I do not like the administrative aspects of selling coins, I cannot stand them because it is tedious and mind numbing. And in this instance, you also need to consider the incremental cost of postage to the buyer. If these are low grade coins (say below AU) or coins with problems that reduce their eye appeal regardless of the grade, I would recommend listing them in groups.

In listing my coins, I generally do not have losts that I expect to realize a final sales price of less than $100 USD. Part of that is because I almost always send coins to South Africa from the United States and they must be sent by insured registered mail to arrive safely. But also because I consider my time more valuable than the minimal incremental amount I might realize which could in actuality be none at all.
    Last edited by jwither; 21-07-10, 00:47.

Comment

Originally posted by jwither View Post
      Your question ultimately comes down to what incremental value you could expect to receive and the time it will require selling the coins individually versus selling them in group lots.

Personally, I do not like the administrative aspects of selling coins, I cannot stand them because it is tedious and mind numbing. And in this instance, you also need to consider the incremental cost of postage to the buyer. If these are low grade coins (say below AU) or coins with problems that reduce their eye appeal regardless of the grade, I would recommend listing them in groups.

In listing my coins, I generally do not have losts that I expect to realize a final sales price of less than $100 USD. Part of that is because I almost always send coins to South Africa from the United States and they must be sent by insured registered mail to arrive safely. But also because I consider my time more valuable than the minimal incremental amount I might realize which could in actuality be none at all.
      "Buy now" would give users the opportunity to buy as many as they like and save on postage. I did mention listing them for buy now..
      I am fussy about the condition of coins I list and find the way coins are graded as
      "fine" for instance is not fine as far as I am concerned unless the coin is rare.
      VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Tongue in cheek

I still have over 20,000 of the old South African 1961 to 1964 brass half cent pieces that were withdrawn from circulation in the 1970s. The coins are still in their old Barclays Bank canvas bags and could "flood the market" .. lol

It will never happen.

I am seriously thinking of having them cleaned then placed in plastic and attached to key rings in China. Pity about van Riebeeck he is not as pretty as Queen Elizabeth... with new technology the encasing in volume of old common coins from years past makes them quite a treasure!

Maybe I should get them encapsulated by NGC or SACGS and offer them for sale on BoB with the higher values being gained from the more worn (READ "RARER") pieces!

It will never happen.

In the meantime they make pretty cool chips when we play Poker at home (the more we use them the more valuable they might become)!

This does happen!

Oh, and I also have thousands of the old pennies, hapennies and farthings (pre 1961) but have no intention to brutalise them!

Don't even ask me about my truckloads of silver coins.. ;-)

Kind regards

Scott Balson
        Last edited by ndoa18; 21-07-10, 10:00.

Comment

Scott, you have a terrific sense of humour and I always enjoy reading your posts, despite being a total ignoramus when it comes to numismatics. Your posts, and others, teach me so much about history that I really look forward to reading them all.
          Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
          Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

The 1961-1964 series are my favourite South African coins especially the silver 50 cents.
            They are such a good example of how our money has devalued.
            VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Working...
            X