Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper coloured 1940 tickey

While out metal detecting a beach over the weekend I found a buried 1940 tickey. The coin was caked with copper colored sand. I managed to remove the sand using a very elementary electrolisys set-up (battery charger etc) for a couple of minutes.

The result is that the coin itself is still copper coloured.

I was wondering whether this is as a result of the alloy used plus being exposed to the salt environment for a period of time. Hern lists the alloy as 20/80.

Maybe the shipwreck and other detectorists can shed some light.

I have detected 100s of pre-decimal silver coins on the beaches. They are usually blackened but I have also seen some copper colored silver.

Lost coins on the beaches sunk trough the softer sand and usually lands on the hard clay layer where they are sometimes exposed by heavy storms. When I find coins stuck in that hard clay layer they are usually copper colored so it must be the clay residue that change their color. I don't think it has something to do with the alloy as such.

Gold coins hardly ever change their color in the sea (thats way its called the eternal metal), silver coins usually turns black, copper coins turn to either black or green and usually are pitted after long periods submerged, and the worst is clad that just fell apart after a few years.

But there are exceptions - I have detected George V copper coins on salt water beaches where they come out after decades under the sea in quite superb condition. I presume they got stuck in a protective clay layer soon after they were lost and I found them soon after they were "released" from their time capsule!

But gold is the best - I have seen a fellow detectorist take out a 500-year old Henry VIII gold angel next to me (whilst detecting in Norfolk, England) and it was as struck - superb without a trace of toning or color change. Abolutely amazing.

Regards

Pierre

Comment

Hi Pierre, found this interesting piece about toning, especially the gold.

Coins Toning - Toned Coins - Coin Toning

Regards

Derick

Comment

Toning

Very interesting - thanks Derick.

Another way of artificial toning is putting a coin in a potato and bake it in an oven for an hour - not sure if it works and would not try it myself!

Another "boere raad" is putting the coin in a banana peel and leave it in the sun to dry for a few weeks...

etc. etc . etc .

In my view, artficial toning is bad because one wants to hide something - say hairlines caused by cleaning / polishing or whatever.

Natural toning, on the other hand is a very good sign - although spotty and flecked toning are not always enhancing - in SAM proofsets one sometimes encounter the silver R1 coins where the one side is untoned whilst the other side shows flecked / spotted toning.

I think the reason is that the set was left opened for a period of time and one side of the coin got more exposed to oxygen (open air?) than the other?

A very interesting subject that true experts (I am not) should have many comments on!

Pierre
        Last edited by Pierre_Henri; 22-08-10, 13:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Sea View Post
          Hi Pierre, found this interesting piece about toning, especially the gold.

Coins Toning - Toned Coins - Coin Toning

Regards

Derick
          Very interesting articles, just hope that some of the crackpots don`t get hold of this info,within a month or two we will be seeing toned Mandelas:D
          STEVE
          “Numismatists are the guardians of history for future generations”

Comment

Just a note for those who want to collect toned coins, there is a shadow effect on most of the genuine articles, notably around the lettering, please see the url below for clarification, it has some stunning pictures of whats real and not.

eBay Guides - FAKE RAINBOW TONED COINS - ARTIFICIAL COLORS
            Ambient Music is the Wallpaper of my Mind

Click Here to View My Items For Sale

Comment

Believe it or not, I have just been mailed a pic of a toined R5 Mandela, the owner is not a crackpot though, not yet anyway, that might change if he lists the thing!:p

Comment

Originally posted by kyle2 View Post
                Believe it or not, I have just been mailed a pic of a toined R5 Mandela, the owner is not a crackpot though, not yet anyway, that might change if he lists the thing!:p
                I didn't do it, nobody saw me, you can't prove anything! :D
                Visit my hive!

Comment

Not guilty! :D
                  Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
                  Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

I am! What was supposed to take YEARS to do only took me a few seconds with a heat gun, thanks Derick for the very inspiring article :D

So, buyers beware. This was so easy to do and it really is not very difficult, be very careful when buying toned coins and wherever possible only buy toned coins in NGC or PCGS slabs.
                    Visit my hive!

Comment

Originally posted by BumbleBee View Post
                      I am! What was supposed to take YEARS to do only took me a few seconds with a heat gun, thanks Derick for the very inspiring article :D

So, buyers beware. This was so easy to do and it really is not very difficult, be very careful when buying toned coins and wherever possible only buy toned coins in NGC or PCGS slabs.

Has this gone for grading yet, Stephen?:D

Renaldo

View my auctions in the Coins & Notes section

Comment

Hmmm, NGC won't grade it, nor will PCGS, I wonder where I can send it?
                        Visit my hive!

Comment

Hey Steve, our local boys will grade anything, even if its got Rust! or glue!:p

Comment

Working...
                          X