Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 R5 without Mandela head.

I thought all the 2008 R5 coins had the MAndela head on them. Seems we had other R5 as I got one in change today.
    I suppose being his birthday in July these were extra R5's made mid year or is the combined total 4-5million??
    VIEW MY ITEMS!

Hi . The Birthday coins were 5 million struck as per reserve bank (special issue) , the other R5 coins that you see are business strikes for circulation , just like any other year, so its the normal R5's for that year plus 5 million birthday coins , hope this helps

Comment

Hi

Does anybody know how many 2008 normal business strike coins was issued?

Maybe even more rare than the Mandela Birthday Coin;)

Regards,

Thomas van der Spuy
      ZARBOY
      "Look in the past for all that is good and beautiful, take that for your ideal and build on it your future".
      Items I am selling.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertigo View Post
        Hi . The Birthday coins were 5 million struck as per reserve bank (special issue) , the other R5 coins that you see are business strikes for circulation , just like any other year, so its the normal R5's for that year plus 5 million birthday coins , hope this helps
        A million this and a million that - check your change boys...

Comment

Maybe we can start a new craze. Rare!! Rare!! 2008 R5 coin error strike without Mandela head.:p
          VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Originally posted by ZARBOY View Post
            Hi

Does anybody know how many 2008 normal business strike coins was issued?

Maybe even more rare than the Mandela Birthday Coin;)

Regards,

Thomas van der Spuy
            ZARBOY
            Hi Thomas
            That`s most likely, that normal business strikes are scarce than Mandela 2008 R5. It happened in 2000 where normal R5 (combined both old and new COA) were minted much less than Mandela R5.

regards
            Dulal

Comment

just a thought, would a forged R5 coin be scarce or not, just wondering about it because there were quite a few once upon a time.

VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Forged coins

Hi Wayjen

I have, from my days as a teller at Barclays Bank in Natal, several of the old 50 cent (1965-75) South African coins cast in lead. They are obviously forged but in those days 50 cents was a lot of money. Forged coins are scarce but have NO numismatic value although I am tempted to send one for grading to see what terminology might come with its encapsulation! Their only value is novelty.

Don't worry BoB I would never put it on auction (encapsulated or not)!

I am not sure of the legal ramifications of being caught with a forged coin but suggest you steer well clear of them. Living in Australia I think I am safe from the long arm of the South African law! (Do not have any Australian forged coins).

Kind regards

Scott Balson
                Last edited by ndoa18; 27-08-10, 13:13.

Comment

Hi Scott

Can you imagine the coin coming back with a grading that makes it sought after, that would be a story to tell.

Cheers

Wayne

VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Originally posted by ndoa18 View Post
                    Hi Wayjen

I have, from my days as a teller at Barclays Bank in Natal, several of the old 50 cent (1965-75) South African coins cast in lead. They are obviously forged but in those days 50 cents was a lot of money. Forged coins are scarce but have NO numismatic value although I am tempted to send one for grading to see what terminology might come with its encapsulation! Their only value is novelty.

Don't worry BoB I would never put it on auction (encapsulated or not)!

I am not sure of the legal ramifications of being caught with a forged coin but suggest you steer well clear of them. Living in Australia I think I am safe from the long arm of the South African law! (Do not have any Australian forged coins).

Kind regards

Scott Balson
                    Steer clear of what South African Law?? I know of a few people who could not live in Australia because everything was done to:o book.
                    One friend said she found it too boring. There was nothing happening.
                    Funny thing to say but she added"At least in South Africa there is always something happening even if it is a gun shot"
                    VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Boring Australia

Geewhizz you misunderstand my subtlety!

What I meant was that only South African authorities would have an issue over someone holding a South African forged coin (ie they would not worry about an Australian forged coin). If you do you have a South African forged coin in South Africa you should probably hand it in. In Australia the same applies to Australian forged coins.. ;-)

I must agree Australia is wrapped in red tape and the speed cameras here are the biggest revenue earners for a greedy state government! We were just talking last night about the hundreds of invasive government CCTV cameras that line city streets now!

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Comment

Hey Scott do you remember the fake R5's that were doing the rounds a while back, that eventually necessitated the need for the bi-metal coins. Some of those were pretty good as far as quality goes, I eventually ended up with some, but rapidly got rid of them again. It would be interesting to see what kind of grade one would get for such a thing. They might even be collectable now. LOL!:p
                        Graded R5 coin FC64(Fake Coin) for sale Very Rare, A must have for your collection! :)
                        Last edited by kyle2; 28-08-10, 09:12.
                        Ambient Music is the Wallpaper of my Mind

Click Here to View My Items For Sale

Comment

NGC and fakes

Good day all,

If NGC suspect a coin is not original, i.e. a fake they will not put it into a slab. If a coin is in a NGC slab that means that in NGC's opinion the coin is original.

If NGC deem a coin not to be original the coin will be returned, unslabbed in a "body bag" (i.e. a coin flip) with a note stating either "NOT GENUINE" or "QUESTIONABLE AUTHENTICITY".

Kind Regards
                          Gert

Comment

I'm pretty sure NGC or one of the overseas graders would not slab such a coin, but our local crowd has just recently come out with the amazing grades of "glue", Rust and "pvc", so who knows what they'll grade next!:p

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/25018...Y_R5_COIN.html
                            Last edited by kyle2; 01-09-10, 11:08.
                            Ambient Music is the Wallpaper of my Mind

Click Here to View My Items For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by kyle2 View Post
                              I'm pretty sure NGC or one of the overseas graders would not slab such a coin, but our local crowd has just recently come out with the amazing grades of "glue", Rust and "pvc", so who knows what they'll grade next!:p

Graded - @@@ SACGS GRADING "RUST" - 2008 MANDELA B/DAY R5 COIN @@@ was sold for R31.00 on 18 Aug at 20:31 by cacberg in Burgersfort (ID:25018780)

What is the intention for sending this coin for grading in the first place ?

Dulal

Comment

Working...
                              X