Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hijacked E-mail adress

    Bid Or Buyers

    Please be aware southcapecoins@yahoo.com email adress has been hijacked and the password changed. Any e-mails forthcoming from this adress should be deleted immediately. Do not attempt to open them as they will not take responsibility for any virusses downloaded on your software.

  • #2
    Some important tips

    I sympathise with you... something similar happened to me years ago. Amazing what can happen if the wrong person gets your passord. The reason my passwords today are complicated.

    It can be very damaging.

    The simple message to everyone on the forum is

    1) make your password complicated. If you are going to use a child's name add some numbers (like your first street address) to the beginning or end. NEVER use the account (eg stuffed@gmail.com) as your password - in this case "stuffed". It is amazing how many people do!!!!

    Either memorise the password or have two separate bits of paper each with half the password in reverse. Keep the paper (like a calendar or post stick) on your desk with no reference to their real purpose.

    2) NEVER share your personal email or BoB passwords with ANYONE. It can really bite if you do. Letting family access your email server is one thing (ie so they can see mails you receive) BUT giving password access completely another - a no-no.

    3) If you have automated access to Gmail, BoB etc... password protect access to your computer.

    Maybe BoB should have a simple set of parameters disallowing simple passwords on BoB accounts that can be easily hacked. My web hosting company has an algorythm that will not accept short or simple passwords submitted online by clients when creating emails.

    Hope it all turns out well for you.

    Kind regards

    Scott Balson
    Last edited by ndoa18; 01-09-10, 10:08.

    Comment


    • #3
      Excellent advice!

      Originally posted by ndoa18 View Post
      Amazing what can happen if the wrong person gets your passord. The reason my passwords today are complicated.

      Scott Balson
      Scott has hit all the right buttons in his comments - a complicated and unique password for each aspect of your internet use is an imperative!

      Hope that you are able to resolve all the issues arising from this rather nasty episode!
      "Truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

      Comment


      • #4
        The advice I got from our IT dept was to use the first letter of each word in a sentence and numbers and special characters. This is easy to remember and takes some effort to crack.
        VIEW MY ITEMS!

        Comment


        • #5
          Who are South Cape Coins and what is this all about?

          Arn't these the guys who sold the ZAR Sammy Marks One Penny hoard of 1898 a while ago and advertised it in Rapport and the Sunday Times?

          Or am I mistaken with another seller?

          Pierre

          Comment


          • #6
            HI

            These are the facts. 210 Sammy Marks 1 D were sent for grading. They are numberd as follow: 2309449-001 to 2309449-210. You are welcome to image them on NGC's website. Any other comments are speculation and untrue.

            Thank you

            Comment


            • #7
              passwords

              Originally posted by Tananka View Post
              The advice I got from our IT dept was to use the first letter of each word in a sentence and numbers and special characters. This is easy to remember and takes some effort to crack.

              The terminology is a "strong password". Do a search on the internet for "strong password" - you'll find some good info on this - Wikipedia has a fairly comprehensive article on this which is not too technical.

              There is a balance to be kept between strong passwords (which is difficult to crack with brute force) and the ability to remember the password. I don't want to lecture on this - it is quite an in-depth topic, but would like to make you aware of an easy way to crack even the strongest password - social engineering (check Wikipedia again).

              There you go - now go forth and learn :-)

              Further consultation and education on the topic can be negotiated at a fee :-)

              Renaldo


              View my auctions in the Coins & Notes section

              Comment


              • #8
                What other comments?

                Originally posted by colour02 View Post
                These are the facts. 210 Sammy Marks 1 D were sent for grading. They are numberd as follow: 2309449-001 to 2309449-210. You are welcome to image them on NGC's website. Any other comments are speculation and untrue.
                Huh?

                Nobody said anything, so what is speculation and what is untrue?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by colour02 View Post
                  HI

                  These are the facts. 210 Sammy Marks 1 D were sent for grading. They are numberd as follow: 2309449-001 to 2309449-210. You are welcome to image them on NGC's website. Any other comments are speculation and untrue.

                  Thank you
                  Some-one please enlighten me,What is this all about?
                  STEVE
                  “Numismatists are the guardians of history for future generations”

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X