Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "Laser Frosted"?

Graded - ** POP 1 ** Finest Known - One of One - Laser Frosted Nelson Mandela 2008 R5 NGC Graded MS67. for sale in Johannesburg (ID:25304857)

What is "Laser Frosted"?
    Obligatory link to my listings.

"Interfered with" perhaps? Would be interesting to know the correct answer to your question!
    There are old pilots and bold pilots.
    But there are no old, bold pilots.

Comment

As far as I can tell, laser frosting is supposed to 'enhance' the coin by roughening up or taking the shine off od the pronounced parts of the coin with a laser.
      It gives the face part of the coin and the raised bits a frosty or matt look.
      I have silver coins which have this effect, but they came out of the dye like that.
      I wonder if frosting the coin constitutes defacing it, because in a sense you are actually altering the coin from the state it left the mint in.
      Ambient Music is the Wallpaper of my Mind

Click Here to View My Items For Sale

Comment

WtF

Good points Kyle

Why would you go to the effort and expense of "laser frosting" a MS67 Mandela ZAR5.
        And how would you (as a grader) know that this had been done.

Reminds me of the WtF and BS grades discussed earlier on this forum.

I really think this listing should be referred back to NGC for comment. I wonder if they even know about it considering the amount of copies of rare coins originating from China?

Consider this from the listing (NGC graded) - see post at top of page.....

MS 65 - 21 graded
        MS 66 - 131 graded
        MS 67 - 1 graded

Can someone check this information from NGC carried on the listing?

I bought five NGC graded MS66 Mandela ZAR5 coins a year ago - part of a very large number of NGC graded MS66 Mandelas being offered for sale at that time. I cannot believe that I paid just ZAR105 for each when they are the second highest graded NGC coins. I can scan the five slabbed coins if required.

Again it is my own personal opinion that something is not right here.

Kind regards

Scott Balson
        Last edited by ndoa18; 06-09-10, 09:55.

Comment

Thanks for the two "vague" responses.

So why is NGC grading such coins? I thought that they had a policy not to grade altered/polished coins?

Comment

Make's one wonder, I think an opinion is needed from the SAM.

Comment

Can someone check this information from NGC carried on the listing?
              see my post above

PS wasn't there an outcry on this forum over a South African company selling a MS70 graded Mandela for ZAR100,000 a while ago? Who graded that?

Kind regards

Scott Balson
              Last edited by ndoa18; 06-09-10, 10:04.

Comment

Laser frosting, the way it is!

I spoke to Sandy at the SAmint today.
                This is the way it is, Laser frosting is done to the actual mold, NOT the coin, in the case of the 2008 Mandela, some detail on the shoulders of Nelson are frosted. These are legal coins.
                ANY coin frosted after the fact and more extensively that what has been mentioned above, has been illegally altered, and it is reccomended that Bob remove these listings.
                These coins were only available as a set of 2 coins, one being the 2000 Mandela and the other the 2008 Mandela from the SAmint.
                Breaking up these sets is apparently a contentious issue with the mint and they are deliberating as to how to handle it.

Comment

... Laser frosting is done to the actual mold, NOT the coin ... These are legal coins.
                  If these are "special" coins from the mint, shouldn't there be a certificate then?

ANY coin frosted after the fact and more extensively that what has been mentioned above, has been illegally altered ...
                  How can us dimwits tell the difference? Or must we trust the grading companies?

These coins were only available as a set of 2 coins, one being the 2000 Mandela and the other the 2008 Mandela from the SAmint.
                  Certificates, again?

Breaking up these sets is apparently a contentious issue with the mint and they are deliberating as to how to handle it.
                  Er, telling us what we may and may not do with our money? Good thing "Tot. Bob" isn't here!

Comment

I think the mint are drawing up a public letter with regards all your questions, but if you need any clarification, please contact Sandy at the SAmint, she is very helpful and can explain it all in better detail than I can.:)

Comment

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, these "frosted" R5's are worth five Rand, because that is what it is - a R5 coin.

Comment

The set from the SAmint is in a lovely presentation box and is sold for about R300. The poor j*ck*ss who bought the one graded MS67 for R2300, could have saved himself R2000 and gone straight to the mint and bought the thing there, in its true collectable form.:p

Comment

Two R5 coins = R10. This means the nice presentation box, plus printed certicate (?) = R290. Bargain box. What is it? Rosewood, oak or sapine?

Comment

Probably whalebone.:p, You're in a ratty mood 2day mate?
                            Last edited by kyle2; 06-09-10, 14:56.

Comment

Here's a bargain for you RiSaddler, AND its half price too!LOL!:p

Graded - PRICE CUT BY 50%.MS 68 LASER FROSTED MANDELA R5 ! ONLY ONE EVER GRADED MS-68. WILL LOOK AT OFFERS for sale in Vredenburg (ID:25740008)

Comment

Working...
                              X