Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grading Companies

    I have recently had some coins graded at SACGS and would like to know if anybody can give me more info on the difference in the grading systems used by the different coin grading companies.

  • #2
    Hi might be wrong, but SACGS grades more strict and they use the same terminolgy. SACGS is South African grading with less "complimentry" grades of the American companies. American vs South African grading: MS- UNC , AU -EF, XF - VF, VF - F+ , F - F to F- and lower. Please bobers if I am wrong don't shoot me, but give advise. Regards Neels

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi

      How can one grade to strict???

      There is only one way of grading. Grading is a science and a art.

      The science is to do a "photograde" and place a coin within boundaries:

      1. Is it genuine?
      2. Has this coin any rimnicks, artificial toning, cleaned or aother manipulations that will stop this coin from grading???
      3. Is this coin MS(unc), AU(ef), is this coin a special strike, proof, business???
      4. Place coin within boundaries, say MS64 - MS66

      Then only does the art come in:

      1. Graders preference like toning, lustre etc.
      2. Graders experience.

      That is why it is said that grading opinions differ. It will always differ, but should differ within boundaries. A coin within boundaries of MS64-MS66 will have 3 possible grades given by different graders. It will never be exact, but should always be spot on.

      If one looks at the grading processes of PCGS, you will understand why they are propably the most " spot on " and consistent grading firm around.
      Also, the process of NGC will result in a small spike of different grades. Not as consistent, but very acceptable. When it get's to American grades I believe they are number 1. I cannot comment as to SACGS grading process as I am not sure exactly methods followed.

      If you want more help with grading, do a course in grading through ANA. Join them at their summer seminar and meet junior graders from NGC. Submit as many coins as possible for grading. Study the coins before and after. Ask why the coin has graded a specific grade. You cannot learn coin grading overnight, it will only come with years of experience. My numismatic diploma through ANA and years of submission to NGC, PCGS has helped me to be spot on!

      Always remember:
      1. Grading is a science and an art.
      2. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
      3. Always buy the coin and not the slab.

      Regards,

      Thomas van der Spuy
      ZARBOY
      "Look in the past for all that is good and beautiful, take that for your ideal and build on it your future".
      Items I am selling.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by EEND View Post
        Hi might be wrong, but SACGS grades more strict and they use the same terminolgy. SACGS is South African grading with less "complimentry" grades of the American companies. American vs South African grading: MS- UNC , AU -EF, XF - VF, VF - F+ , F - F to F- and lower. Please bobers if I am wrong don't shoot me, but give advise. Regards Neels
        Hi neels ,

        Modern Coinage:
        I have seen a few ms70 Gandhi SR1 uncs (SACGS Slabbed) on BOB for sale , whilst NGC has never graded a Silver UNC as Perfect Mintstate, (not sure about PCGS).
        Wonder on the grading methods on modern coinage.

        I cannot comment on older coins, as i have never seen SAGS slabs in the flesh.

        warm regards
        Imraan

        Comment


        • #5
          grading query

          hi, re the SACG do they have a facility where you can pay extra and wait while they do the grading? also, do you have their email or phone number please.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hello Microtrader

            Not sure, but maybe you can buy coins from them here...



            ...and send them back for grading to themselves ?
            Last edited by qball; 08-12-10, 10:29. Reason: External website links not permitted

            Comment


            • #7
              is this strange??

              Does this seem weird that a grading specialist company would always have an interest in trade of the same product? i thought they are supposed to be independant in their activity.
              WHy is it so difficult to get hold of them?something is not adding up here. Its easier to do business with the usa coin graders. Am i mistaken or missing something here?

              Comment


              • #8
                how did you get hold of them?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Microtrader View Post
                  Does this seem weird that a grading specialist company would always have an interest in trade of the same product? i thought they are supposed to be independant in their activity.
                  WHy is it so difficult to get hold of them?something is not adding up here. Its easier to do business with the usa coin graders. Am i mistaken or missing something here?
                  I have realy no idea ...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Microtrader View Post
                    hi, re the SACG do they have a facility where you can pay extra and wait while they do the grading? also, do you have their email or phone number please.
                    I would strongly suggest that you rather make use of the international grading companies such as NGC and PCGS.
                    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

                    Click to view any items I may have on auction

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      YES.. 4kids

                      I wholeheartedly agree

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ok thanks, apparently i have missed somehting. much appreciated.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X