Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1888-free state penny-is this a forgery?

I came accross a 1888A South African Penny currently for sale on BOB,and decided to open up Herns to learn a bit.
    I found that in BIG BOLD that all of these pennys that were graded in the U.S were graded as PF,which substantiates theNGC GRADED PF65,that's for sale on BOB.
    Then while playing around on the net,i came accross another 1888 Free State Penny for sale,this one though,graded by NGC AS MS62 !?
    The slab number on the MS62 being 276 0608-025....is this authentic or not?

Also.what sparked my curiousity is the layout of the description on the 2 slabs,they are different!Doesn't NGC have a set format for their descriptions of similar coins?

-BOB SLAB

1888A SO.ARICA(Excuse the missing "F") 1888 S.AFRICA PENNY
    KM-PN13 ORANGE FREE STATE OFS KM-PN13 BRONZE
    PF65 BN MS62 BN
    1753770-003 2760608-99
    -OTHER SLAB

1888 S. AFRICA PENNY
    OFS KM-PN13 BRONZE
    MS62BN
    276 0608-025

So please do educate me people
    Last edited by RrockerFella; 30-10-10, 11:43.

You can check the authenticity on the ngc website: www.ngccoin.com

Register as a free member and you can check authenticity for any coin you wish.
    I had a look at the certification number and it does seem to be authentic. NGC has included a pic as well so you can make your comparison with the one you have seen as well.

Enjoy.
    Veto111

Comment

Originally posted by RrockerFella View Post
      I came accross a 1888A South African Penny currently for sale on BOB,and decided to open up Herns to learn a bit.
      I found that in BIG BOLD that all of these pennys that were graded in the U.S were graded as PF,which substantiates theNGC GRADED PF65,that's for sale on BOB.
      Then while playing around on the net,i came accross another 1888 Free State Penny for sale,this one though,graded by NGC AS MS62 !?
      The slab number on the MS62 being 276 0608-025....is this authentic or not?

Also.what sparked my curiousity is the layout of the description on the 2 slabs,they are different!Doesn't NGC have a set format for their descriptions of similar coins?

-BOB SLAB

1888A SO.ARICA(Excuse the missing "F") 1888 S.AFRICA PENNY
      KM-PN13 ORANGE FREE STATE OFS KM-PN13 BRONZE
      PF65 BN MS62 BN
      1753770-003 2760608-99
      -OTHER SLAB

1888 S. AFRICA PENNY
      OFS KM-PN13 BRONZE
      MS62BN
      276 0608-025

So please do educate me people
      The first one in question is confirmed as a piece graded by NGC with details as follows: 1753770-003 This coin is in an old type Holder and images not available on the NGC population

Date/Info:1888 S.AFRICA OFS KM-PN13 BRONZE
      Denomination:PENNY
      Grade:PF 65 BN

The second item as well with following details: 2760608-025. This item is imaged and in the NGC population in a new type holder.

Date/Info:1888 S.AFRICA OFS KM-PN13 BRONZE
      Denomination:PENNY
      Grade:MS 62 BN

Some of these items were badly handled and stored and I have seen both MS and PF graded specimens and must say that in my opinion there were proofs or at least proof like items minted and some definitely does not even come close to PL details. Since there is also two different bronze 1888 Pennies issued i.e. one which is 2.06mm thick and another 2.41mm it is possible that the difference in PF and MS lies between these two types. Perhaps someone that has both a MS and PF in their collection can help out on this comment.
      Last edited by 4kids; 03-11-10, 15:02.
      Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Click to view any items I may have on auction

Comment

Working...
      X