• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what I am selling

Hi All

Check What I am selling

See if I priced incorrectly.

I need toget rid of these to buy things.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/1279803/Snet

1. 1977 Queen Jubilee Coin with COA
    2. British Winston Churchill 1965 Crowns

Let me know if you interested and bid now.

Not so cool using the forum for advertising?

As a SuperStar-BoBber you must surely know that the forum is not to be used as an advertisment board?

Whatever, your two crowns are both non-precious metal (not silver) issues, and will sell for about R10 each.

What is interesting about the Churchill crown (but it does not make a difference in terms of its value) is that the cigar smoking Winston was the first non-Royal to be depicted on a British coin - but not quite - there was another person's bust used many, many years before him ...

Can anyone guess who it was - a non -Royal person to be depicted on an official coin of England?

Think hundreds of years ago...

Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre_Henri View Post
      As a SuperStar-BoBber you must surely know that the forum is not to be used as an advertisment board?

Whatever, your two crowns are both non-precious metal (not silver) issues, and will sell for about R10 each.

What is interesting about the Churchill crown (but it does not make a difference in terms of its value) is that the cigar smoking Winston was the first non-Royal to be depicted on a British coin - but not quite - there was another person's bust used many, many years before him ...

Can anyone guess who it was - a non -Royal person to be depicted on an official coin of England?

Think hundreds of years ago...

Pierre
      That would be Oliver Cromwell in the seventeenth century, the portraits of only four non-royal figures have appeared on a United Kingdom coin:

i) Winston Churchill - 1965 crown;
      ii) Horatio Nelson - 2005 crown; and
      iii) Isambard Kingdom Brunel - 2006 two-pound coin.
      iv) Charles Darwin - 2009 two-pound coin.
      Art, Stunning Ceramics, Jewellery Visit my Bob Shoppe, Antiques, Books, Music, Hand Basins and More

Comment

I found this interesting read:

When the first Celtic coins were minted in Britain around 80 B.C., they were Potins made of cast bronze and based on coins of Massilia (Marseilles) which had a head of Apollo on one side and a bull on the other with the letters MA. The French word potin was an alloy of copper, zinc and lead with more than 25% tin content. Examples have been found at various sites in Kent but are known as "Thurrock type". Judging by these the quality of workmanship is poor with the bull and MA hardly visible.
        Last edited by Cold Sea; 03-11-10, 18:43.

Comment

thanks , I wasn't really doing advertising , I just wondered if the pricing was correct.

Comment

Working...
          X