Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heritage auction win lost~anyone else in the same boat?

hi All

My heritage auction win is either stolen or lost by very well known courier company. POOF...disappeared...
    would like to know if anyone else is in the same boat as me? maybe there is some criminal syndicate going on in this company ?so i just want to find out if anyone else has same problems?
    i am tired of international shipping risks.things will never come right.

regards
    indran
    Click here to view my items!

Indran,
    Which courier company are you referring to? There's quite a few well-known ones,especially D.H.L. & FEDEX.

Aidan.

Comment

hi aidan

i will let you know the name after the investigation is completed and my claim against them has run its course.
      also am not sure if forum rules permit publication of names?

keep in touch
      regards
      indran

Comment

Its absolute nonsense. When major auction houses start dictating which courier service to use, then you are going to have problems. You are the buyer and you should be responsible for the shipping. As a buyer you should have the choice of which company to use. The biggest problem with Heritage is, they stipulate the full amount of the sale on the packge.

1. Its bound to end up at customs
        2. With the high value on it, your package is definately a target for theft both internal and external of the freight company.

So whats the answer to this....

1. Carry on bidding and hope the package gets to you safely
        2. South Africans stop bidding with the hope of them changing the postage rules.
        3. Have them post your coins a someone in the USA and then arrange your own freight
        4. Fly over and bid on the coins and then pick them up yourself and fly back.

Indran I sympathise with you bru..... I am hoping the the investigation will prove fruitful and that the package just fell of the shelf and will be found.

Not sure about a syndicate! I havent heard of any other parcels being lost or stolen... but hey, anything is possible and this must not be overlooked.... I hope Jaco Van Tonder is not working from the inside... ha ha

Cheers
        Anthony G
        The measure of a numismatist is not how much he profits from the hobby,
        but how much the hobby profits from him.

Comment

Anthony,
          A lot of mail disappears en-route even within America.I had someone who was an expatriate Sri Lankan living in America who posted a set of the new Sri Lankan coins shortly after they came out.The first time around,it was returned to them,but they were repacked & sent to me,but,unfortunately,they never got to me,nor did the sender get the coins back.

The ironic thing is,the sender DID put their return address on the envelope!

I've also had one package disappear for good en-route from Melbourne,Australia to here in New Zealand.I can get mail from England within 2 weeks,yet,it can take up to a month to receive something in the mail from Australia.

Some postal administrations are now riddled with corruption.I wouldn't be too surprised if New Zealand Post ends up that way.Yes,I've even had mail disappear for good even within New Zealand - in one case,even sent within Wellington itself!

Aidan.

Comment

from what I know this package was release from customs in South Africa and the freight company have stated that they have mislaid it in their warehouse. So the package did arrive, it did clear customs but somehow got convienantly mislaid with the freight company.
            Anthony G

Comment

hi,

you get no help from heritage,their only reply is to file a claim with courier company.they absolve themselves from all risk.
              and they say when it comes to shipping,"they work with the rules that govern them".
              sorry but those yanks,thats why i am depressed and the whole world is in depression.
              ONE other thing that is very fishy,when you track the parcel on the net,it shows delivered status.but the address it reflects is the courier company's warehouse in joberg.

Comment

Indran,
                It sounds like you have to actually physically go to the courier company's warehouse in Johannesburg.

Take along any documentation,such as a confirmation of arrival sheet,along with the tracking number.

Let us know how you get on.

Aidan.

Comment

Hi Indran :D

Maybe this will help in the future, i truly hope so. The way i do it when i bid on Heritage, is

1) I request that i chose the courier company which i have an account with (in my case FEDEX)
                  2) That the invoice must not be included in the parcel

Instead, i leave on file with FEDEX instructions that any parcel arriving in my or my companies name must be flagged as it arrives in S.A at customs so taht i am notified to supply the original documentation.

The benefit to this is that my parcel never travels with documentation indicating the declared value, which minimises the chance of it being stolen en route. Instead it appears as a normal parcel. Only once the item arrives at customs am i called and to which i supply the original invoice to management at FEDEX who then send this over to customs, for release of the parcel.

I know this is a bit of late information, but hopefully a few less parcels will be stolen because of this.

Best of luck, i had a parcel go missing when a seller sent an item via Speed Services the other day when they had a strike on 28th Jan. It just seems no courier company is immune to this.

Kind Regards
                  8) Invinci 8)

Comment

Good advice......... hopefully everyone who bids overseas will take note...

Cheers
                    Anthony G

Comment

Guys,

I know of two other local collectors in JHB who uses Fedex that had their parcels Lost/Stolen in the last month...
                      Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Click to view any items I may have on auction

Comment

thanks danilo,

will keep that in mind !

cheers!

Comment

I Battled more than a month to get my Parcel cleared by fedex.

It were from Heritage,
                          and worht close to ( A Huge amount)
                          And including an 1893 ½ pond which I withdrew as a consignment item.

It were scary

I stopped buying ever since.

Comment

I find FedEx excellent for bringing coins in from the USA, however it still takes a month or so to clear SA Customs even with all the correct paperwork in place....very frustrating...but what can one do
                            My age is but an irrelevant number !
                            Items I am selling.

Comment

alloway65 Posted: 17 Feb 2009 08:09 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find FedEx excellent for bringing coins in from the USA, however it still takes a month or so to clear SA Customs even with all the correct paperwork in place....very frustrating...but what can one do

the banker Posted: 16 Feb 2009 23:13 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I Battled more than a month to get my Parcel cleared by fedex.

It were from Heritage,
                              and worht close to ( A Huge amount)
                              And including an 1893 ½ pond which I withdrew as a consignment item.

It were scary

I stopped buying ever since.
                              Hi Guys,

I had a parcel recently stopped by customs. It was inspected at FEDEX's JHB warehouse next to the airport. My entire consignment of diamonds valued at R100000 was swopped during the exam. The items werent insured due to the value reflecting on the waybill. I still had to pay duty and vat before the parcel was released to me, but at thta stage I obviously was unaware of what had transpired.

I lodged a claim but unfortunately the camera could only catch the back of the inspectors. The could have put it in their top pockets without been noticed. We have a license to import diamonds but the theft in this country makes international trade a lot more difficult.

Kindest Regards
                              Thameez
                              http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/userpr..._UserId=484669

Comment

Working...
                              X