No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930 Threepence - different from other 3ds

Hello all,

Whilst photographing the 1930 Threepence recently, I was struck by the virtual fusion of the following dot with the 0 of the date. See pics with 1932 threepence as comparison.

Looking at another specimen, the same anomaly was noted. The following dot is not absent as in other Union coin varieties, but whoever prepared the die placed it to close to the date.

I havent read any description of this in previous postings and have only two coins to compare with. Perhaps other collectors can have a look at their coins to see if this anomaly is general to all 1930 threepences ?? I have looked at all the other George V non wreath threepences excluding the 1931 (dont have one) and this fusion of the following dot does not occur in them, the dot is usually separated by two mm at least.

Thanks for looking.

Geejay
    Attached Files
    Last edited by geejay50; 23-05-10, 10:58.

Hi Georg,

Since I am a keen variety and die crack collector on Union coins, I noticed this anomaly some time ago. I currently have three excellent MS graded coins and another four high graded specimans still ungraded with 13 lower grade 1930 3d's totalling 20 coins.

All are the same as what is shown in your photographs which lead me to believe that this is the norm. Hoping that I will find a 1930 3d with the correct spacing....

On the other hand the 1932 in your picture is one af a number of varieties.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Click to view any items I may have on auction

Comment

My series of Nomisma Journals publish over 3 years ago show 4 different varieties for the 1930 3P & 15 different date & stop varieties for the 1932 3P as well as 4 for 1926, 3 for 1927, 12 for 1933, 10 for 1934 & many more. Here are the some of the pics:

Nomisma Journal Volume one Issue 1
      When in doubt knock 'em out!!

Comment

All from Nomisma Journal one Issue 1

Comment

The 'anomalies' you speak of are created very simply by the Mint punching new dates into previous years' dies. Obviously they never took great enough care to ensure that they spaced the new digit in such a way that it did not affect the stop thereafter. These varieties are abundant in 1932 and 1933. One can also see that the stops also vary in size, shape and postion. So too do the new digits vary in size, shape & position. There are a plethora of different varieties for the GEOV & GEOVI 3 pences, all of which have to do with the date and the stops before and after the date.

I thought you guys had my journals but obviously not so here is a list of my 3p VARIETIES: All these are clear enough to be deemed significant.

Cheers
          Alex

Comment

Would you like me to post the other 350 or so varieties list I have in other denominations?

Comment

Thanks.
              Here is the list excluding about another 30 varieties I still have to catalogue. You will note some have no description and this is because I do not know how to describe them in short notation. Enjoy!!

Cheers
              Alex

Comment

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the posting. Any more will certainly help.

This helps a lot as the journals you published only mention two of the 1930 3d varieties. I have both you list on page 31 and now know what to look for in the other two.

Any update on the journals and how to get this??

Regards
                Jan
                Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!

Click to view any items I may have on auction

Comment

Hi Jan,

Sure you can have the update. I will email it to you.

Cheers
                  Alex

Comment

Working...
                  X