Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What stone or rock is this cut from

Hope I'm in the right forum and that someone can help.

I have this stone carving and have no idea what material it is cut from. It is very heavy. Size is 16cm x 12cm x 12cm - weight 4kg.

Excuse my ignorance here, I'm not sure how hard/soft it is. Scrapping a coin across the bottom (with a lot of pressure) produces a very shallow scrape and fine dark dust. The unpolished stone (where the scrape is) is medium grey - whereas the polished area is very dark grey (almost black).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mandy
    Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Not 100% sure but...

It looks like soapstone...

Wonderful to work with and relatively easy to carve.
    "Truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Comment

I agree with Ms Plod on this one!

These carvings are predominantly produced / carved in Zimbabwe as the rock is easily available there.
      Click here for great deals!

Comment

That makes perfect sense as we have a whole collection of cups and saucers, ashtrays and pipes.

I would not have associated such a dark stone with soapstone - I'm used to the dark green and light grey stone.

Thanks both of you. :D
        Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

Hi
          Pesonnally i think its Pyrophylite"wonderstone" commonly used for lapidery work seen as the hardness is 2

Comment

Originally posted by watermelon101 View Post
            Personally i think its Pyrophylite"wonderstone" commonly used for lapidery work seen as the hardness is 2
            Had to look this up Watermelon101 ! Hadn't heard of pyrophylite before... From Wikipedia...
            "Pyrophyllite, a mineral very similar to talc is sometimes called soapstone in the generic sense since its physical characteristics and industrial uses are similar, and because it is also commonly used as a carving material. However this mineral typically does not have such a soapy feel as that from which soapstone derives its name."

So - how soapy does it feel mellowred? LOL!!
            "Truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Comment

Working...
            X