No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over-Rated values On Listings

Hi All,
    I am not usually one to make a fuss or make somebody else's listings look bad but after all we have tried to accomplish regards gemstone listing guidelines what do you think of this Amethyst that is worth R23 745-00. here is the link - http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/80148...23_745_00.html . Boy, and it is certified. Morn e, Morne, Morne where are you? (security) - here is a citrine valued at R35 400 -00. link here - http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/80148...35_400_00.html
    Outlaw these sellers who are misleading the public - I show no value on my listings and neither does Motherearth and other reputable sellers on BoB. We could just as easily put R35 000 - 00 down for most listings but do not do it because at the end of the day, a retail valuation by a jeweller is not worth the piece of paper that it is written on (if even genuine).
    Guys, honesty and transparency are what buyers are looking for, not impulse buys because they have had a few too many castle lagers and see their way out of financial trouble by an inflated RRP.
    Regards,
    Brian (Gems Direct)
    SEE MY SELLER'S PROFILE

Hi Brian, these stones are almost certainly hydrothermal, ie - man made , very misleading considering they can be purchasesd for less than $0.20 a ct. It is very probable that the seller does not know this, but ignorance is not an excuse. To state a value of nearly $7,000 US for a Citrine, even if it were natural is reckless, the mention of GIA and certificates is also very deceiving and is by far the biggest problem on BOB where gemstones are concerned. I am yet to see a genuine certificate in any listing. People should note that print outs from Gemval are farcical and rely 100% on the input from a seller!!

Jeff
    Motherearth - Fine Jewelry and Gemstones
    http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/userpr..._UserId=480951

Comment

I would be VERY interested to see the certificates and see who would certify those gems as natural and at those values.

Comment

Another one

Hi Guys

I'm going to buy this one and take a year out of work -

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/80146...30_345_00.html

Motherearth, I now understand your idea of getting a link to the forum on all listings so that customers can be better informed about exactly what is what. I will be applying this in all further listings. Nothing personal towards this seller but I would just like a reply or input as to where he gets the values stated. If Gemval then worthless and if a not I would propose a kitty to get the Gemologist that certified it at this value a serious refresher course!
        The forums have helped me immensly to get my own house in order - Thanks Jeff and Luke, and the future of BoB depends on honesty and transparency when it comes to accurate listings which give the buyer a true impression. I see many sellers do just that.

Gentlemen - Forget the year off work! Take a good look at this one - http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/77945...Rand_Ruby.html -
        Cheers
        Brian
        ps: I still have not stopped laughing!! :D
        SEE MY SELLER'S PROFILE

Comment

sorry

False and home made certificates are a real problem , also very misleading

Jeff

Comment

Please see the rules for posting on the forum - this is being locked.

bidorbuy does agree that listings should be truthful, accurate and honest - it's the sellers responsibility to ensure this - having said that - it's also the buyer's responsibility to ensure they know what they are buying, as is standard practice accross most major auction sites worldwide.

Comment

Granted Cuan, the sellers should know what they are buying. But if the seller is misleading or lying to them you cannot rely on the buyer to know any better. They are not trained as experts on the contents of each and every category of items available on BoB, nor should they be expected to be.

If the seller is supplying false information you cannot penalise the buyer.

I don;t really think it is fair to compare BoB to any other auctions sites as 1. BoB will not allow it's users in the forum to do so themselves and 2. BoB hasy very little in common with any of them. And that isn't meant as a criticism.

Comment

Education

It is important that more people get involved in this forum, education and knowledge of gemstones is the prime aim here, but there are many people , as Luke states above, that have no idea about Gems, we are talking about valuable and very expensive items here...and there are many consumers not getting what they pay for, and certainly not what is advertised!

Jeff.

Comment

This is from Gemval's FAQ page:

Do you provide any appraisal certificates?

To comply with international gemological practices, official appraisals must be done offline by a certified gemologist through direct manual examination. The estimated value obtained on Gemval.com cannot be used as a reference for any legal or official purposes. Gemval.com provides a reliable interactive tool for valuing gems, but in the final instance, the appraisal is made by you.

Comment

Re: Another one

Originally posted by Gems Direct
                    Hi Guys

Gentlemen - Forget the year off work! Take a good look at this one - http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/77945...Rand_Ruby.html -
                    Cheers
                    Brian
                    ps: I still have not stopped laughing!! :D
                    The claims made in that listing are nothing more than outright fraud.
                    I the only thing that seems accurate is the weight. According to the picture not one of the other claims can be real. Not colour, not clarity, not lustre, not treatment and certainly not the price!!! What is that cut????

Comment

Hi Guys

Got a tricky one here! Can anybody help me with the value of the below:

Specimen: Garnet Mali

Weight: +/- 5.00 ct.

Colour: Yellowish Green

Clarity: Almost Eye clean

Cut: Excellent

Shape: Round

Would appreciate any feedback before listing.
                      Thanks,
                      Brian
                      SEE MY SELLER'S PROFILE

Comment

Correction

Sorry guys

Exact weight is 3 carats

Thanks
                        Brian
                        SEE MY SELLER'S PROFILE

Comment

Here you go...

bidorbuy Forum Administrator

bidorbuy.co.za - Africa's largest market place.
                          bidorbuy on Facebook ~ What's hot on bidorbuy

< TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE US A GOOD RATING

Comment

OR, is it this one..

Just goes to show how easy it is to put up a valuation on the auction site.

Buyers be aware!
                            bidorbuy Forum Administrator

bidorbuy.co.za - Africa's largest market place.
                            bidorbuy on Facebook ~ What's hot on bidorbuy

< TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE US A GOOD RATING

Comment

Value

Thanks Admin

That is exactly what us sellers are saying about valuations. Unless done by a Gemologist who has the stone in person, it is worthless. Gemval spits out whatever you want it to say and is extremely unreliable and misleading as you have demonstrated in the above 2 messages.

Lets just hope that not too many sellers and buyers alike trust in these certs and that more folk would come to the forum here on Bidorbuy to get advice before they purchase. Bidorbuy is certainly proving to be a source for many people in SA who may not even be members. That is an achievement in itself.

Regards

Brian
                              SEE MY SELLER'S PROFILE

Comment

Working...
                              X