Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Gemstone Fairytale - fetched far to be far fetched

Once upon a time, there was this online store that allowed people to sell and buy different things. There was also a part of this place that allowed people to offer pretty stones for others to bid on or purchase - should they so choose.

One day, a man was browsing through one of these sections that had red stones in them - yes, people were allowed to group different stones into sections so that all stones in the same section had the same name! He found a large red stone that looked like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4..._90ct_ruby.jpg

He admired this red stone very much and read all the beautiful things promised should he make this purchase. There was even a certificate that was given FREE OF CHARGE! He felt very comfortable and just to make sure, asked the seller if this was the actual red stone that looked so pretty and had such a wonderful history.

Obviously, he was assured that this is all good and 100% correct.

Since it was a huge sum of money to spend, the man decided just to wait a bit and shop around. That same evening, after a good meal, good coffee and a sigar, the man decided to have a final look-around before he invests his hard earned money. He went to another shop far away, but similar to this one and whilst browsing through pages and pages of red stones and looking at those sellers' feedbacks, he stumbled apon this beautiful red stone:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ryoc06787a.jpg

He could'nt believe his eyes! WOW! 2 of the most beautiful stones looking exactly the same! What a beautiful pair of earrings he could now make for his beloved wife! Unfortunately, this one was already sold a while ago to another man also staying in the same country as he was.

But reading through the information, he got extremely confused.... The one on the site at home said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/319rubyb.jpg

Whilst the other one in the far away land said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ne/319ruby.jpg

Surely, it could not be the same? But the man at the local site said the the photo was of the actual stone? He now was very confused. Maybe the local man had the same thumb injury as the man overseas....No, no - can't be...Maybe by chance they bought identical stones from the same source? Mmmm... not that either.

Now even more confused, he informed the man at the local site that he was probably making a mistake. The local seller-man assured him that the local Red stone was the real thing, as he has spoken to his supplier ( the far away man) and the far away man said it was the real thing.(The man interested in the Red stone now got very upset. How can this far away man lie to the local seller-man by selling him real Red Stones, whilst blatantly advertising in the far away land that the stone is a Lab stone?)

The man interested in the local Red stone now sent the link of the far away Red stone to the local seller-man to show him his confusion....

The local seller-man got upset and told the man interested in the local Red stone that he obviously had too much time on his hands. The local man interested in the local red stone was extremely disappointed, as the local seller-man was thus aware of the facts, but decided to not fix this - maybe hoping that another local man would spend the large amount without also looking in the far away land....

The End.

Ouch... and it is more than just the finger that will be hurting!

If only more "sellers" could be caught out red handed (or red fingered)!
    Click here for great deals!

Comment

very nice post! :D

HOWEVER: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ne/319ruby.jpg

it says lab diffusion, This means it was treated in a lab not lab created :lol: so it may be an natural stone that has been diffused? :lol:

Edit:okay so you are referring to this stone:

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/87426..._BUY_SAFE.html

lol, talk about getting caught with your pants down... :)

Comment

Hi,

Very nice post and great detective work, I have sent a link to the person in question, and it would be great to get a response!

@ gemdeals - the term "lab diffision" is a term used by some Thai eBay sellers for Verneuil -Lab created stones (flame fusion).

Normal diffusion is done in ovens and not in a Laboratory.

From the photo, it looks like a synthetic Ruby, the cut is too good, large rubies such as this would always have surface imperfections.

If not, Ruby this size,cut and colour, no matter where it came from, and with only heat treatement, would sell for over $1,000,000 US ... no problem.

Jeff
        Motherearth - Fine Jewelry and Gemstones
        http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/userpr..._UserId=480951

Comment

Hi all,

I had my input above, but it has obviously not gone down very well with Diamond Corp as I received a nasty PM from them.

May it be noted that I was not pointing fingers or insulting the seller in question personally, but stated what I did very generally as there are several sellers "in the wrong" with regards to misleading the public with the content of their listings and their honesty level.

If Diamond Corp cannot take the heat in the kitchen, then perhaps they should air their views in the open and not via PM's!

Yes, when I first started on BoB there was a transaction for R40 that fell by the wayside between them and jbelstead, now they're threatening with an SNC and negative rating - only 9 months down the line (note this transaction was not through Cali Craft!)

I seriously wish that some people would just grow up. Perhaps they should sweep their own doorstep first before threatening others. The main topic in this thread is the dishonesty of some sellers regarding their listings - if this gets the "guilty" party to bring up history between themselves and another buyer, then I don't know.

Regards,
          Janet

Comment

Janet, I sympathize with you, but let's keep on track or there is a risk this thread will be locked or deleted by the powers that be!!

That would be a shame, because there are some valuable points that have been made here, while i understand that it will be extremely difficult , it would be good to get the sellers response, without confrontation risking this topic to be closed.

Jeff.

Comment

Hi Jeff

I agree. I find that once a seller has been "pointed out" they blow things out of proportion - especially when they are guilty.

With Diamond Corp (the one with the "false" listing as pointed out by Gemzone) tackling me via PM does not show professionalism. If your transgressions have been discovered and pointed out, rather spend your time correcting matters than getting personal with whoever comments on the topic.

With this in mind, I sure hope that many other seller's "misleading" information gets pointed out and corrected - honesty is still the best policy!

Regards,
              Janet

Comment

Janet, I am sure if people are vigilant things will improve in time, and with Gemzone's obvious talent for detective work, there will be more interesting discoveries!!

Jeff.

Comment

Good day to you,

The Red Stone has been removed by the local seller-man. This is good. I do however feel it was removed for the wrong reasons. Pressure, not conscience or inner sense.

The local seller-man sent me a PM displaying another skill.....

Regards

Comment

Janet,

We know your hart and I am sure that 99.9% of users know your character. The only time one can get upset with you, is when you win something for R 1.00.....

Thank you for your contribution.

Regards

Comment

I guess it is just my lucky day then when I score a bargain...

Comment

It is good that the local seller man as removed the listing, it will be interesting to see if this red stone appears again with an alias!

Thanks Gemzone for your humorous scribe, albeit on a serious subject, very refreshing!

Janet, I don't think anyone here or any of your customers would for once doubt your integrity, you will always get a few nasty comments here and there in this game, while unpleasant, they should be ignored

have a nice day

Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by motherearth

@ gemdeals - the term "lab diffision" is a term used by some Thai eBay sellers for Verneuil -Lab created stones (flame fusion).

Normal diffusion is done in ovens and not in a Laboratory.

From the photo, it looks like a synthetic Ruby, the cut is too good, large rubies such as this would always have surface imperfections.

If not, Ruby this size,cut and colour, no matter where it came from, and with only heat treatement, would sell for over $1,000,000 US ... no problem.

Jeff
                          that could be, however many thai dealers also suck at english and so this could just be a mistake. ;)

As far as I can tell is that:

1.seller in the "far away land" listed the item as Burmese. However it's most probably not.

2.seller in in " local land " listed the item as Madagascan(which is more likely) however then "forgot" it was diffused.

This ruby does not look like those horrible indian rubies that has been dyed. However it's most probably diffused and then lead glass filled creating the almost perfect surface.(if this is possible lol )

I'm not saying that the gem is real... just my opinion ;)

Comment

do not be confused by Indian dyed Rubies, this is not diffusion, just simply dyed ie. they are soaked in a coloring, which is not permanent!!

Diffusion is much more complicated and is done at high temperature,with a misture of pretty nasty chemicals and other ground up minerals, colour is usually permanent and stable , unless the stone is re-cut.

Lab Diffusion is a marketing term for Lab Created stones! do not underestimate Thai sellers, they are not stupid when it comes to making money! , and many have Western staff!

Jeff.

Comment

Good afternoon,

I have asked the Far Away Seller-Man the simple question. He answered me in perfectly good English:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ne/answer1.jpg

This after the Local Seller-Man informed me he spoke to his supplier and confirmed the stone to be natural.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                              X