No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrothermal Gems

Hello all you Experts
    After reading about Rubies in the discussions I came across the word "Hydrothermal". Being a novice gem collector (I buy them 'cos they look pretty, started collecting 3 weeks ago) I didn't realize that when it states: Treatment - Hydrothermal, meant that the stone was Lab created. I thought Treatment was what they did to a mined stone! Silly me. I bet a lot of people have bought stones not knowing this. Are my Hydrothermal stones worth anything?
    http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/I...radeId=9160321
    http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/I...radeId=9160365

It would have been far better to state man-made as this would be much clearer.

The biggest problem is that almost all quarts available is hydrothermally produced so values are not that high all around. Especially since it's so difficult to separate the genuine from the lab material.

I'm sure they're worth at least what you paid for them. There are always people keen for such large stones.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your reply, I'll use them as paperweights! They are very pretty though :)

Comment

Sorry to jump in here guys, but they would make beautiful necklaces.
        Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - Martin Luther King
        See all my stuff up for grabs!

Comment

I can always tell people they are real

Comment

:lol: :lol: And fool many people, me included, have no knowledge of gemstones.

Comment

@ AndriesMarais
              Don't you have Gem Stones for Dummies?

Comment

lol, working on it

Comment

Hi All

Luke, do you agree with me that these gems - hydrothermal - should be in the Lab created category? After all they are synthetic. This case here has highlighted that innocent buyers could be duped in to buying what they think is a real stone when it is lab created. Yes, some hydrothermal stones are beautiful but the buyer should know what he/ she is investing in.

Regards
                  Brian
                  SEE MY SELLER'S PROFILE

Comment

@ Gems Direct
                    If I didn't read the Forum I would have thought I bought a "real" gem. Which is what I thought when I bought it!

Comment

Hi Dumbeldhor,

Well it is refreshing to see that you are taking this revelation with a pinch of salt. I think these stones should definately be in LAB CREATED so as to conform with the gemstone guidelines. I am sure that Cuan and Morne will come to a decision and make a ruling in this matter.

Great to have you on the forum.
                      Regards
                      Brian
                      SEE MY SELLER'S PROFILE

Comment

I bought them 'cos they are pretty (and big) but I think people should know what they are buying. Maybe my investment R200 will be R250 in a few months :P At least if I try and sell them on BoB I will tell the truth! maybe :)

Comment

Hey Brian
                          I am still waiting for my gems from you :D
                          Hopefully you won't disappoint me!
                          Are your stones "real"!

Comment

Hey Debbie

Took me a while to click that it was you Mine are genuine and I am sure that you will be happy. PS - tracking number correct and all...lol..

Regards
                            Brian
                            SEE MY SELLER'S PROFILE

Comment

You have some nice stuff...I will buy again from you when I have sum mor money, next month. Can't you advise me on what to buy as an investment? I am new to this!

Comment

Working...
                              X