Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's happening

What’s happening in the gem section, it's so quite no news nothing new?
    VIEW MY ITEMS!

Not much going on lately.
    ANy news from your side?

Comment

Originally posted by Lukeness View Post
      Not much going on lately.
      ANy news from your side?
      Yes indeed there is something thats really is bothering me. WHY? is there so many sellers not stating heat treatment on their gems. Please note I'm not starting an arguement, but Bountyhunter and alot of other sellers give a gemological certificate, but do not state the heat treatment at all but heat treatment is very important to state so a buyer would know the right way to clean or look after their gemstone.

Because Section 23.22 of the FTC's guides for jewelry and gemstones states: It is unfair or deceptive to fail to disclose that a gemstone has been treated in any manner that is not permanent or to that creates specail care requirements, and to fail to disclose that the treatment is not permanent, if such is the case. The following are examples of treatment that should be disclosed because they usually are not permanent or create special care requirements: coating, impregnation, irradiating, heating use of nuclear bombardment, application of coloured colourless oil or epoxy like resins, wax, plastic, or glass, surface diffusion which i sell alot of sapphire which are diffused, or dyeing. This disclosure may be made at the point of sale, except that disclosure should be made in any solicitation where the product can be purchased without viewing e.g direct mail, online services, and in the case of televised shopping. If special care requirements for a gemstone arises because the gemstone has been treated, it is recommended the seller discloses the special requirements to the purchaser.

I'm not to sure who the FIC is but this is the requirement in the trade? So is it illegal not to show the treatment? and if so should'nt sellers state the treatment to avoid legal action?

PS if my speeeelllng sucks had a few drinks with friends that missed my b-day so im sorry.:p
      VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

I, and I believe most of the other posters here, agree strongly with you that treatments should always be disclosed.
        The FTC is the Federal Trade Commission. They also state that disclosure must be made if the treatment effects the value of the gem.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukeness View Post
          I, and I believe most of the other posters here, agree strongly with you that treatments should always be disclosed.
          The FTC is the Federal Trade Commission. They also state that disclosure must be made if the treatment effects the value of the gem.
          Ok great thanks for that, but is it a law or not in the gem trade?
          VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

This is international standards and the official legal requirements in the US and anyone who trades with them.

Comment

hi, a lot of stones are routinely treated , some such as Tanzanite are not declared by most sellers, truth is , no heat - no Tanzanite - Tourmaline is normally heated as is Aquamarine , but they are not declared . ---- WHY!! - because they can not be picked up by the laboratory!! ........and heating is so standard , it is not declared!!

Wright or wrong ...... you decide!!

I believe that a seller who goes out of his way, to create a honest selling environment, is the way to go! .... to me not declaring "fracture filling" of Rubies or the diffusion if Sapphires is wrong, because these treatments greatly effect the value!! ....

On the other scale, heating of Tourmaline and Tanzanite is widely used, does not effect the value, and greatly enhances the colour of the stone...ie. - no neat - no nice gemstone!

cheers

Solly
              Last edited by Sollyzar; 01-10-09, 04:46.

Comment

Clarity Enhancement of Diamonds

Hi

Quick question, I am sorry if this is in the wrong place. Does anyone know where to go to have diamonds clarity enhanced? I phoned EGL and they don't do it.

Thank you in advance.

Regards
                Figleaf
                VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Working...
                X