Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accumulation in household

When i recently moved i have found that although i have been clearing out house for the past 10 years that my home is still cluttered. It makes me think of places where homes are sold with the furniture. And when they do buy new furniture, the old are left on the sidewalk for ones who have need for them.

Now the same happened with me. I had a a few old pieces of furniture which couldn't fit into the new place. I really wanted to leave it on the sidewalk for people who need it, but i ended up in loading it on a bakkie and driving it to the dumps. There it was grabbed up by people working at the dumps.

The reasons why i decided not to leave it on the sidewalk :

It attracted the attention of people who do not like to work and think that walking the streets and begging is the only way to make a living.

South Africa got one of the highest security problems in the world. Moving home is like a open invitation for them to break in, since the new comers do not know of the soft spots as yet.

And believe me - I was not the only one who rather took things to the dumps.
    Items for sale: http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/1016532/Whitewolf

You'd be amazed at what people salvage at the dumps. And the money that can be made from other people's "junk".

We have a wonderful set up here in Hermanus. "The Swap Shop". Items are donated to the shop which is situated in our informal housing area - Zwehile. Residents then collect recyclables (glass, plastic, paper etc) which are weighed. They are then awarded with a valued token. The token is then swapped for necessities or luxuries.

Brilliant idea, as the area is cleaned up and the needy receive things they otherwise may not be able to afford.

Sadly some of the collectors are only 5 years old. Most of these little ones "laybye" on shoes and clothes. Sweets and other luxuries are not the "hot" items.

Photo courtesy of Manor News
    Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Whitewolf View Post
      When i recently moved i have found that although i have been clearing out house for the past 10 years that my home is still cluttered. It makes me think of places where homes are sold with the furniture. And when they do buy new furniture, the old are left on the sidewalk for ones who have need for them.

Now the same happened with me. I had a a few old pieces of furniture which couldn't fit into the new place. I really wanted to leave it on the sidewalk for people who need it, but i ended up in loading it on a bakkie and driving it to the dumps. There it was grabbed up by people working at the dumps.

The reasons why i decided not to leave it on the sidewalk :

It attracted the attention of people who do not like to work and think that walking the streets and begging is the only way to make a living.

South Africa got one of the highest security problems in the world. Moving home is like a open invitation for them to break in, since the new comers do not know of the soft spots as yet.

And believe me - I was not the only one who rather took things to the dumps.
      ""
      Talking about putting things out on the sidewalk. I heard this story about a guy who bought a new fridge and put the old one (still working ) on the sidewalk for anyone who needed it. 2 Days later it was still there. He then put a price of R100 on it and it was taken overnight.
      VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Yes, geewhizz, I've heard about that in Cape Town - it was actually published in the newspaper ("The Argus" or "Cape Times"). Here, in Grahamstown, people can take recyclable things to our City Hall and, in return, get a free midday meal - usually some thick stew/soup and a couple of slices of bread. Works well - there are now several of these "kitchens" in the townships as well.
        Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
        Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

Our municipal dumps are wonderful places to get rid of "still usable" items. Just load 'em on the bakkie, drive there and tell the "attendants" to unload. Hot items are wooden furniture and kitchen appliances.

P.S. Being a slightly deranged ex-archaeologist, I bury my old crockery...
          Last edited by RISadler; 03-07-10, 09:56.
          Obligatory link to my listings.

Comment

when i was a young buck a group of us would play in the mountains and sand dunes in Fish Hoek and there was the local dumping site there and we would go rummage through it. We would come away with what we would call treasures at the dump like silver lighters and whole sets of poker chips in their box and garden fences (those little white ones) and bullet casings and pens..............

Now that I am older and wiser and with BoB around I just go through my neighbours bin.

VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

I hope you wash your hands afterwards Wayjen.
              With South Africa now on google maps I had a look at the house I was brought up in in Pretoria.
              There was a dump down there on large open grounds seperating 2 suburbs and I googled my way down the roads and round the corners and found the area.
              It is no longer a dumping ground but there must be hidden treasures under there.
              Today empty perfume bottles for example could be quite valuable.Seeing you are in Cape town maybe you should come and empty my garage then you dont have to dig in your neighbours bin.
              VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

I think Wayne has the bag ladies who help him go through bins while he sits in his trolley!

Pam, I had the good fortune many years ago of being able to collect old bottles from the old dumping site which was in front of the Red Cross Children's Hospital in Cape Town, which is today the highway past the hospital! It was tremendous fun being an amateur "archaeologist", albeit for a short time.
                Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
                Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

@ geewhiz i wash my hands before i rummage because you never know what i touch before hand. heh heh and funny you should mention garage as we are on our way to do exactly that. I feel like a treasure hunter now and all I need is a cutlass and and a wayward compass and i am set.

@ lily you know me so well. That must have been exciting too. i used to attend that hospital in my youth but only for a short time.

VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Working...
                  X