• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAP Jacket, or not...

Hello!
    Here we are with another question :D

Is it SAP pre'94 or post?
    The label has written: Specifico Bhoputhatswana, size RS102 - but not the year: possibly cut off ?

Has one square pocket on left and a pen holder (?) on the other side

Thank you!! :D

Hi from what i can remember from my years service, the ones with the zips are post 94
    If the sunrise was meant to be appreciated it would only come up at 10am!
    Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hello Nubbi !
      Thank you for that info !!

Ciao!

Comment

Hi I have my doubts that the jacket is a SAP issue.

I think if it is authentic it was issued to the BOP Police Sercvice before the amalgamation with the SAP

"I can only please one person a day, and today ain't your day... (tomorrow ain't looking good either)".

Comment

Hello tendaji !

The label says "Specifico Boputhatswana" like, for example, other SADF items (my cousin has, when was in SADF, items with tag "Specifico Bop..."

But if you think so it can be another piece in this puzzle

Thank you!

Comment

Hi Again

I was in the SAP and none of my cammo jackets had labels. I am speaking under correction here but as far as I can recollect all our cammo uniform was made by the SAP Quartermaster.

The jacket in your photo also differs from the one that I currently still have in my possession, which leads to suspect that it is not a genuine SAP issue.
            Our jackets also had inners that could be fitted inside with buttons. The one on the photo doesn't seem to be able to have an inner fitted.

If it has the same label as other SADF uniforms then it could possibly also be a SADF issue.

"I can only please one person a day, and today ain't your day... (tomorrow ain't looking good either)".

Comment

Im fairly sure, although I stand to correction, the SADF stuff had buttons and was made in SA, my jacket was made by Durban Clothing Mners in 1978.

That said, my "balsak" ( I never found out the english name) was made by Specifico Bophuthatswana in 1988. It is one of the later nylon ones with a long zip instead of the canvas one that tied at one end with 4 grommets that I had during my national service in '81.

Comment

I am too lazy to photograph the jacket still in my possession but it is very similar to the one in the photo
                Notice the blue inner I previously mentioned. I know of blue, green and yellow coloured inners and it is fastens with buttons, so that it can be removed on warmer days.

petercd61 - Isn't a "balsak" a kitbag? :P

Comment

Kitbag sounds right, but I was 1 of 2 english speakers in a bungalow of 80 chaps, needless to say the corporal didnt take the time to translate all the Afrikaans terms for me. :)

Comment

Originally posted by petercd61
                    Kitbag sounds right, but I was 1 of 2 English speakers in a bungalow of 80 chaps, needless to say the corporal didn't take the time to translate all the Afrikaans terms for me. :)
                    Don't worry I know what you mean. English speaking SAP members were an endangered species when I joined. That is how I got to speak Afrikaans fluently.

Comment

Perhaps I am off thread here, but I would love to have some input.

I was in the National Defence Force in the mid eighties and NON of our kit had labels. Yet when I did a “border camp” in 1988”, and when I had to exchange my green beret for a black beret (a technicality) I was surprised to find a Bop label in my brand new black beret!

Which company produced the old (non label) berets?

Can anybody give some input into this?

Thanks and regards

Jacques
                      Philately starts where the catalogue stops.
                      Items I have for sale.

Comment

Sap Jacket

Originally posted by onglongsa View Post
                        Hello!
                        Here we are with another question :D

Is it SAP pre'94 or post?
                        The label has written: Specifico Bhoputhatswana, size RS102 - but not the year: possibly cut off ?

Has one square pocket on left and a pen holder (?) on the other side

Thank you!! :D

Hi

This is a SAP boilersuit (2 piece coverall). We had racks full in our store and still have a few laying around. They are used for training. Special Task Force uses it for selection and SAPS Training institutions use them for physical courses, like tracking and survival. They were once issued when still doing courses at Maleoskop Counter Insurgency Training Institution. The BOP label is just the manufacturers label, when they were made before 1994. Bop company had the tender.

Comment

Originally posted by tendaji View Post
                          Hi Again

I was in the SAP and none of my cammo jackets had labels. I am speaking under correction here but as far as I can recollect all our cammo uniform was made by the SAP Quartermaster.

The jacket in your photo also differs from the one that I currently still have in my possession, which leads to suspect that it is not a genuine SAP issue.
                          Our jackets also had inners that could be fitted inside with buttons. The one on the photo doesn't seem to be able to have an inner fitted.

If it has the same label as other SADF uniforms then it could possibly also be a SADF issue.
                          That SAP camo jacket is just a normal SAP (2 piece coverall) used for training. If anyone had done Maleoskop Counter Insurgency training or Special Task Force selection, they will ID it. We have racks full of them. STF still use them today. Bop was just the approved tender.

Comment

Thank you cucashop!
                            Nice infos you have added to my question! Indeed
                            :)

Comment

Hallo, There Just Running Through These Old Forums, Your Jacket Was Manufactured Pre 94, However Is Still Used Today, It Was And Is Utilised As A Training Overall, Mainly At Verdrag Training Camp, I Know Jackelsdans Had A Few Till Not So Lond Ago. Regards

Comment

Working...
                              X