Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Strings: Which Gauge Should I use?

Hi Everyone

I've been looking at some of the different guitar strings on bidorbuy and realised I do not know which gauge strings are best for my guitar.

Is there any way to decide which gauge is correct for the guitar? I use a Fender Acoustic/Electric.

Craig Lubbe - bidorbuy.co.za - Africa's Largest Online Marketplace.
    bidorbuy on Facebook ~ What's hot on bidorbuy

< TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE US A GOOD RATING

personal choice

Originally posted by CraigLubbe View Post
    Hi Everyone

I've been looking at some of the different guitar strings on bidorbuy and realised I do not know which gauge strings are best for my guitar.

Is there any way to decide which gauge is correct for the guitar? I use a Fender Acoustic/Electric.
    Hey Craig
    Personal choice really - some prefer the lighter gauges (extra light etc.) since these are easier on the fingers. They tend to give a very bright sound - slightly too trebly and sometimes tinny for my taste.

I go for a mix usually - I'll use a slightlier heavier gauge for performance - medium usually - to get the depth and tone I want and for practicing and just jamming around - use a light gauge.

Often mix gauges on the guitar too (depending on the string brand - since the sound is distinctly different for many of the brands too). So I'll use medium gauge trebles and mids (E B G and D) mixed with a light gauge bass (A and E).

Mess around with the different brands and the various gauges - record the same songs over a few months with different gauges and you'll see the different nuances each string set provides.

My playing tends to emphasize rhythm (a sort of flat-picking blues/jazz) so love the bass notes to ring a little. Won't specify the guitar string brands because I have found that the brands sound different on different guitars. Best always to find what works best with your own playing style, hand strength and music genre. Have fun!!;)
    "Truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Comment

Working...
    X