Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite 80's Song...

Well, I got the turntable going again and am busy converting my LP's to MP3, so got to thinking... my favourite song(s) from the 1980's are:
    • Man on the Moon, by Ballyhoo;
    • followed a close second by Holding Out for a Hero, by Bonnie Tyler.
    What's your favourite 1980's song?
    Obligatory link to my listings.

Not a 80's fan at all RI. My all time favourites include Smoke on the Water and Radar Love. 80's were too light for my taste
    Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

Both those songs are from the 1970's, so it doesn't count. (The question wasn't what your favourite song was, but your favourite songs from the 1980's. Concentrate. Or start another thread for 70's songs. )
      Obligatory link to my listings.

Comment

I am a big 80s music fan. Any Kylie Minogue, Belinda Carlisle, Cindi Lauper, Madonna, cutting crew duran duran just too many to mention, but I think my all time favourite will be Cindi Lauper - girls just wanna have fun.

Comment

Find it a bit hard to narrow it down to songs - but my fave 80's bands were
          R.E.M - Murmur - especially the tracks "We walk" and "Perfect Circle"
          The Police (Sting is my overall favourite muzo) - "Message in a bottle" and "Every breath you take" are probably right up there but "Roxanne" is my best!
          Sting again - this time with the album "Dream of the Blue Turtles" - just about everything off that album and then off "Nothing like the sun" - "Fragile" and "Sister Moon".
          Joan Armatrading - "Me myself I" (most of her 70's and 80's stuff)
          Peter Gabriel - Rhythm of the Heat - best listened to with headphones - whew!!
          Pink Floyd's - "The Wall" - whole album - and the movie!
          Also used to spend many nights and days (most weekends really) in the Pmburg and Durban jazz halls watching local bands and greats such as Dollar Brand (Abdullah Ibrahim) - Sakhile - Stimela - etc. etc. incredible! Afro-jazz at its finest! Sadly suppressed by the apart-hate regime...
          Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!! Just thinking about all of these gives me a rush. Thanks RIS!!
          "Truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Comment

give you a rush!!! what about Jennifer RUsh hehehehehe. Memory lane oh boy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jphotography View Post
              give you a rush!!! what about Jennifer RUsh hehehehehe. Memory lane oh boy!!!!
              LOVED her music - never had any meself but used to hear it often when I went jorling - memory lane indeed!

Also used to love bopping to the garage/punk/house/rock/fusion type sounds - The Clash (remember "London calling"?), the Smiths, The Cure and U2 - HOW COULD I FORGET U2!!!!?? Hoooooboy!!
              "Truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Comment

Scrathing old tapes out now!!!!!!! There was a band not sure what year called London boys. I got my mother to imported me their tape in the early 90s.
                Would love to get a cd from the band KWS!

Comment

@ jphotography - d'you mean these guys??

YouTube - The London Boys on TV-AM (1989)

and these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w1TzLR2tYc

Standard disco prerequisite!!

Comment

MsPlod yes
                    This is my favourite one
                    Chapel of love, hehehehe
                    YouTube - LONDON BOYS: "Chapel Of Love" (Good audio quality!)

Comment

Too many favourites to list, but the following stand out:

99 red ballons - Nena
                      Slave to love - Brian Ferry
                      Oh Yeah - Brian Ferry, (anyone remember the old Highveldt Stereo add in the cinema's with this song? beautiful it was)
                      Sounds like a melody - Alphaville
                      A kind of Magic - Queen
                      Kingston town - UB40
                      Avalon - Bryan Ferry
                      Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
                      Ambient Music is the Wallpaper of my Mind

Click Here to View My Items For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by kyle2 View Post
                        Too many favourites to list, but the following stand out:

99 red ballons - Nena
                        Slave to love - Brian Ferry
                        Oh Yeah - Brian Ferry, (anyone remember the old Highveldt Stereo add in the cinema's with this song? beautiful it was)
                        Sounds like a melody - Alphaville
                        A kind of Magic - Queen
                        Kingston town - UB40
                        Avalon - Bryan Ferry
                        Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics
                        All fun - good and HIGHLY "hummable" - We have a UB40 "live in Holland" DVD which is great fun - my two-year old is just captivated by music and this is one of his favourite DVDs.

I forgot Michael Hedges - my guitar-playing hero! YouTube - Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries (ignore the long chat in the beginning - but if you listen to what he is saying - you'll see why he was so loved. One man, one guitar - just watch those fingers - Oh the fullness of sound he manages to get out of that guitar!!

Windham Hill recording studio was a really amazing project~!
                        Last edited by MsPlod; 28-09-10, 18:55. Reason: I forgot Michael Hedges

Comment

jeez don't get me started on 80's music i have lots of favourites.

VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Originally posted by wayjen View Post
                            jeez don't get me started on 80's music i have lots of favourites.
                            Ooooooh goodie! Get started PLEEEEZ - such fun to think of all these musical reminders

Comment

oh boy i don't even know where to start. i could tell you every song from the 80's just by the first note that was played and used to tape off the radio so have plenty cassettes. i even had a fake radio station in the army and play requests over the phone to my friends. those were the best of times.

VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Working...
                              X