No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalogue Values of Union Stamps

Hello to all

Once again, I know that there are many dedicated Union Collectors out there who are following the Forum, but not posting. So to all of you please react!

Please tell us which Union stamp you consider to be the most over-catalogued and also which Union stamp you consider to be the most under-catalogued!

I will offer a prize, but a separate prize will go to the person who suggests the best prize.

Remember that there could not possibly be any wrong answers to this. So let us please hear from you!

Regards

Jacques
    Philately starts where the catalogue stops.
    Items I have for sale.

Zim or Bust.

Hi Jaques

Please remember, that this is strictly the opion of a very keen amateur.

I certainly think that 1935 King George V (SACC64-67) set has to be overpriced. I have a few horizontal mint pairs of the 3d blue SACC 66 and I dont think that anyone would offer me a fifth of the price (R400) if I where to offer them on BoB. The rest of the stamps in the set are also rather harsh at R1300 for the complete set.

To me the most underpriced stamp is the 4 1/2d Van Riebeeck (SACC 138) at R3.80. It took me months to eventually find a decent mint stamp and I paid more than R3.80 for it.

However, I must admit that catalogue prices are really confusing me. I have yet to see a stamp sold on Ebay or BoB that sells for anywhere near a catalogue price. This I think is cause for concern and it would seem that as collectors / inverstors, we are slowly, but surely, killing our own trade. These "electronic auction" sites are making the "hobby" far to easy, and, with the sudden availability of stamps from anywhere in the world, sellers are dropping their prices just to get the sale.

When I first started collecting stamps at the tender age of 15, ie when Moses played scrumhalf for Israel, the words "Penny Black" were reviewed in awe and were worth a fortune. Now, a Penny Black is has almost become a joke. On any day of the week you will find one on BoB for R400.00. I now own three decent Penny Black's that weren't printed in India and I have only bought them for the show.

Nevertheless, it is still remains a fantastic hobby and keeps me out of the bars, much to my wife's delight. Who knows, maybe one day when my son sells the collection he will be able to pay his Eskom bill for the month.

First prize should definitely be two weeks in Zimbabwe, and second prize should be a mint SACC16. The person that wins second prize must, however, sell the stamp and bribe the Zim officials to get the first prize winner home. (and pay medical costs)

All tongue in cheek, but my wife won't let me go to the bar, so I have to speak rubbish somewhere.

Regards

Chris
    Rusty500

Comment

What??

Me again.

I've just checked the BoB stamp listings and got the shock of my life. I retract everything that I have just mentioned in my last posting. Their is a seller that is currently listing the latest Nelson Mandela hardcover FDC at R500.00. WOW. I have thirty of these and can get another 90 that are still available at a Platteland Dorpie Post Office at R40.00 each. Let's see thats 120 x R500. Hey, that's worth more than my whole stamp collection.

Comment

Catalogue value of Union stamps

I will approach this from the postage due stamp side. The stamp ( set ) I think is undervalued the most is the last set of postage due under the Union. This set was issued on 14th February 1961 and was replaced at the time our Republic was formed ( 31st May 1961 ) Therefore this set was around for less than 4 months. Catalogued at R308.00 mint and R570 used, it is the used that are scarce and on cover even more scarce.

Regarding the most overpriced item in the Union area, I feel the redrawn 1 penny ship ( SACC 134 ) is available in great quantities and even in pairs to be catalogued at R5,00 mint and R6,00 used is totally overpriced.

As a prize, the winner should get a full sheet of the SACC 134 !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Rusty and Seahorsefanatic for the replies and for saving me from utter embarrassment.

Thanks Rusty for “strictly the opinion of a very keen amateur”. Please note, almost every item posted on the Stamp Forum is strictly a matter of opinion. And the Stamp Forum needs as many opinions as possible!

IN MY OPNION, the replies are refreshing. Shows you how easy it is to become a bit narrow minded. I honestly expected replies referring to the more expensive items.

Regarding the full sheet of the SACC 134, we will have to keep our eyes fixed on the Wednesday Crazy Auctions.

Hoping for more replies.

Regards

Jacques
          Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hi Jacques

Overpriced, I reckon the small wars blocks with adverts etc.

Underpriced, I have always thought that the 1954 Definitive set was underpriced.

Prize, free entry to 2 grand evening?

Regards
            Gabriel1
            Items I have for sale.

Comment

What happened to my prize?
              Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hello Gabriel1

Prize postponed to January. But perhaps it is not yours!

Regards

Jacques
                Items I have for sale.

Comment

Enjoy your holiday, and all the best for you and yours during the festive season.

Regards
                  Gabriel1
                  Items I have for sale.

Comment

Working...
                  X