No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhibition with a Difference

Hello all

Eighty hours to go till the start of “The Exhibition with a Difference”.

Among the exhibitors will be well known Bobbers like Farstamps, Fanie3 (our Goldstar seller), Gabriel1, KennyN and Madathome. Others, like Estamps, Seahorsefanatic, Translin and yours truly will stay discreetly in the background.

(Hope I won’t get shot by admin for using the names of these Bobbers in vain!).

In spite of remarks like “dreamers”, “you are out of your depth” and “it is a bit of a pipe-dream” Gabriel1 managed to accept no less than 180 frames – that is 2 700 pages of exhibits!!

Definitely one of the biggest stamp exhibitions (if not THE biggest) ever to be held in this country without any financial assistance from The Philatelic Federation of South Africa.

Thanks to everybody for your moral / financial support in helping to make this exhibition a reality.

We are only 50% over our original budget, but that is only because Gabriel1 is the secretary and I am the treasurer.

All that remains now is some hard work (which I hope to pass on to Gabriel1 and KennyN) and then it will be time for one big party.

Regards

Jacques
    Last edited by dstorm; 22-07-09, 22:34.
    Philately starts where the catalogue stops.
    Items I have for sale.

Good luck all. Wish I could be there to meet you and share a ciggie and a laugh. It's sure to be a riot.
    And just to think I could have brought those postcards ;).
    Kind regards
    Mandy
    Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

Hello Mandy

Thanks for the wishes.

It's sure to be a riot.
      That is why Gabriel1 smokes a lot.

Regards

Jacques
      Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hi guys

Would bidorbuy be allowed to visit the exhibit? Meet some of the well known names in the stamp fraternity?

Kind regards
        Cuan

Comment

Hi Guys
          Please notify me of the physical address & times so that I can set the old GPS all the way from "die Wesrand" - I wish the committee all of the best and may their hard work & "time spent" pay off dividends
          Cheers
          kit W
          :D :)
          Items I am selling.

The tongue weighs practically nothing..
          Some people can't hold it!!

Comment

Hello Cuan

Of course! I think it is a wonderful idea.

Can email you directions and opening times.

Regards

Jacques
            Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hi All

If you miss this one you will be sorry, this is going to shake the Philatelic community and people will whisper "There's a new Sheriff in town". Hope to see as many of you there as possible, trophies are awarded by public vote, come and see what we are doing and cast your vote.

Best Regards
              Gabriel1
              Items I have for sale.

Comment

I'll be sitting in George sipping a glass of red :) while you are exhibiting. So once again good luck and all the best.

Cheers
                Mandy
                Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

Hello Mandy

Would have loved to join in the glass of red. However Gabriel1 is very strict. As he said himself: There is a new sheriff in town.

Pity you are so far away – we could have done with some more help. Transporting and then erecting 180 exhibition frames and mounting 2 700 album pages.

If Gabriel1 was not so #@%$#* effective, we would have had half the work.

Well, nobody is perfect.

Regards

Jacques
                  Items I have for sale.

Comment

Is this the exhibition in boksburg your talking about ? :D
                    :)Bid or Buy Items:)

Comment

Yes,

Boksburg of all places!

Regards

Jacques
                      Items I have for sale.

Comment

Boksburg HAHA I suppose that wasnt suppose to get out ;)
                        :)Bid or Buy Items:)

Comment

Hello all

The first day of the “Exhibition with a Difference” was a huge success.

The down size is / was that so many so called philatelists are still not getting the message!

This exhibition is not an experiment. It is not a learning curve. We are NOT trying to imitate a National Exhibition. We are not only playing by our own rules, but by the rules that the majority of stamp collectors in this country want. Full stop. And we have won! Another full stop.

We have had countless of compliments. We appreciate them all. The only criticism came from the blindfolded with the blinkers on.

Not that we are not open to constructive criticism (of course we want to do even better next year). The only problem is that we did not receive any constructive suggestions. Nor any offers of help for the next exhibition.

We will be working till about 20:00 on Sunday – dismantling and loading the exhibits / exhibition frames.

Thanks to everybody for your support. Your participation / physical help / moral support / presence made it all worthwhile.

At the risk of sounding condescending I want to thank our secretary (Gabriel1) for his excellent organiastion regarding the receiving / mounting of the exhibits (a final figure of almost 3 000 pages). The OFFICIAL viewpoint regarding this was simple: “You are out of your depth”. Gabriel1’s reply was just as simple: “You are wrong.”

Regards

Jacques
                          Items I have for sale.

Comment

Well done for all who contributed to this wonderfull event. I walked through all the aisles a number of times and kept going back to look at a number of exhibits. The free flow of ideas was very refreshing as well as the lateral thinking of some of the exhibitors as to layout and subject matter. This exhibition has been a long time coming and I take my hat off to Jacques, Kenny, Steven for a great idea at the right time.

Let this event grow stronger by the year. I will definately put an exhibit together for next year and this is due to the motivation I felt yesterday. As a matter of interest, I last exhibited as a junior in 1981 and 1983 at the nationals and felt no motivation to carry on due to the critical response I received at the time. Thats 26 years gone by !!!

Viva the new approach and to h*ll with all those old boring f**ts who sit in their ivory towers enforcing their opinion on all of us. Let us break the shackles and make our hobby fun again :p:p:p:p:p

Comment

Hi all,

It seems as so the folk from George were all drinking red wine whilst our comrades in JHB were working their backsides off. (What a lovely, relaxed place George is). Well done to the Vaalies for organising what would seem to have been a fantastic event!!! Would it be possible to upload a few photographs of the event for the CAW fraternity to have a look at while we finish off the bottle.

Regards

Chris Flack
                              Rusty500

Comment

Working...
                              X