Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeland Stamps ARE getting scarcer!

Hello Seahorsefanatic, RISadler and all other stamp collectors on the BidorBuy forum.

Quoting from Seahorsefanatic’s post on another topic.

The early homelands sets from Transkei and Bophuthatswana were printed in very small quantities. As the quantity of all stamps is limited once printed, this quantity can only get smaller as time goes by where those postally used are destroyed, lost or damaged, etc
    I would like to add a very serious input to this.

As Seahorsefantatic knows, I bought 17 containers / boxes of Homelands stamps about 6 months ago on auction – at a very “reasonable price”.

I bought it dirt cheap and sold a fair amount of it at “Dirt Cheap + Profit” at a couple of stamp fairs.

With a part of the profit from this, I bought a new LUXURY SAMSUNG WASHING MACHINE. This machine came in a huge box – about 1 metre x 1 metre in size.

I stored the box in my garage. On the floor. Big mistake.

After the October fair, I got home and placed most of my stock that I brought back from the fair on top of this massive box. I left it there – big mistake.

The next Friday night we had a massive rain storm and my garage got flooded. The box got soaked, (apparently) tilted and then fell over with boxes of mint stamps on top of it. Onto, or rather into the 10cm deep water on my garage floor.

When I discovered the situation, I acted quite appropriately – all the dogs (5 of them) just ran away.

So I agree with Seahorsefanatic – the Homelands stamps are getting scarcer….

Regards

Jacques
    PS: Watch out for some “Mint without Gum” Homelands stamps on the Crazy Auctions – all with Special Cachet – "Rescued From Flood".
    Last edited by dstorm; 30-11-09, 21:52.
    Philately starts where the catalogue stops.
    Items I have for sale.

Morning Jacques,

I hope you were insured Jacques......an insurance payout is the equivalent to one big sale!!!!!;)

I still have about two cubic metres of the Homelands stuff, including RSA, SWA etc, I had a flood a few years ago but unfortunately the stamps etc were stored in the wrong place and were safe....next time!!!!!!!

Some dealers used to regum stamps in the 70's, if they are still around give them a call!!!!:( Some will be much older than me so their hands could be a bit shakey....and their Vision!!!!!

Have a great day.

David
    My age is but an irrelevant number !
    Items I am selling.

Comment

Hello David

Regarding the insurance issue: You can “plan” a fire, but not a flood!

Regards

Jacques
      Items I have for sale.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the great disaster. Hope you're recovering well. ;)
        Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
        Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

I bet those damned dogs (all 5 of them) came back smiling and demanding food just as you mopped up the last drop. ;)
          Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

Sherlock wise ...

Originally posted by dstorm View Post
            ... The next Friday night we had a massive rain STORM and my garage got flooded.
            Its all elementary and in the Sur(Name) my dear Watson ...

Comment

A question that has some pertinence to this tragedy: Are Homeland stamps still legal postage? How about driving to Umtata, post the whole lot and make a postally used collection?
              Obligatory link to my listings.

Comment

Hello RISadler
                For years now my copy of the SA Philatelist had been arriving in my mailbox with Homelands Stamps on the envelope. Sometimes even with mixed countries on it – for instance RSA Transkei and Venda stamps combined on the same envelope.
                I phoned the very friendly Gert Theron (Business Development Philatelic Services) to get confirmation on the legality of this.
                He assured me that while the Post Office does not encourage this, it is still 100% legal to use these stamps anywhere within South Africa.
                We have something similar to the Interprovincial Period here and this will surely become a very interesting collecting field.
                Regards
                Items I have for sale.

Comment

So will we be making postally used stamps then? I assume the water damage just means that the gum has become sticky... so nothing wrong with soaking them and applying Pritt! How about Haley's Comet with the PO Tree cancel?!
                  Obligatory link to my listings.

Comment

Hello RISadler

So will we be making postally used stamps then? I assume the water damage just means that the gum has become sticky
                    Have you ever heard of the phrase “Paper Mache”?

Most stamp dealers use tweezers to handle their stamps, I used a spade.

There are some stamps (those lying on top) that might be re-used. I think that it will be more profitable to get a Trodat Handstamp made (costs about R200-00) with the words “Damaged by Flood”. I can then put a cachet on every stamp and resell them as rarities – I am bound to get at least R20-00 per stamp for these. Perhaps my stamps might even become famous! Like you get "Nairobi Crash Covers", "Challenger Damaged by Seawater Covers" you might soon be offered "Dstorm Damaged by Flood Covers" and "Dstorm Damaged by Flood Stamps". And BidorBuy stamp collectors will have the honour of being the first to be able to buy these future investment pieces!

Regards

Jacques
                    Last edited by dstorm; 02-12-09, 21:57. Reason: Spelling mistake.
                    Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hi Jacques,
                      With your BoB name of Dstorm (Die Storm...The Storm)...you should be able to control storm water.
                      Commiserations for your loss!!
                      In a few years I might need some paper mache for my Grandchildren!
                      Have a good Day
                      David;)
                      My age is but an irrelevant number !
                      Items I am selling.

Comment

Thanks David and to EVERYBODY else for your sympathy!

What was so ironic was that some time ago I bought a massive Union collection on auction. With this collection was a folder that contained stuck down mint blocks / part sheets (obviously due to water damage). This lot was lying on top of the heap in my garage – it survived the incident intact with no additional damage! Life is strange!

Regards

Jacques
                        Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hi Jacques

Your waterdamage scenario reminded me of certain archive material in the boot of my car driving through a storm and the subsequent leak I found on getting home !!!!

I am sure the Bophuthatswana Grasses were intact as were the early 80's material !!!

Reminds me of a collector who was working on his Rhodesia Mardon's and was called to the telephone - his 3/4 year old son decided to stick some of his control blocks to the cupboard doors and anywhere else he could lick and stick. how does one float material stuck to furniture etc ?

In your case I would wash the material and use it as postage - the result would be some very desirable commercially used homelands material as has been metioned earlier.

Talking about homelands material of which the prices have hardly moved in the SACC catalogue - does anyone know when the next SACC catalogue will be issued and who has taken over the running of the SACC ?

Comment

Hello Seahorsefanatic
                            I actually forgot about the proofs that got water damaged. And the German Colonisation was to be the most popular set! In retrospect, it was surely my influence. Perhaps the damage (in monetary value) was even more than my last episode. Coming back to Pierre Henri’s and Alloway’s posts, I should perhaps change my BidorBuy username. Perhaps to something like VERYDRYSPELL.
                            Yes, the Bop grasses are intact. You might remember the big box I had with the Homelands / SWA birds. They were at the bottom.
                            The new SACC is supposed to be out at the end of January, edited by Nick Troester. It seems as if the new editor has some painful changes in mind, but these would be beneficial to the market in the long term.
                            Regards
                            Jacques
                            Items I have for sale.

Comment

Jacques, you worry me, everytime I see you the "overprint" topic comes up. I have sleepless nights as it is about forgeries, the thought of another player in this game is just too much.

Gabriel1

PS I am sorry that I missed the auctioneer posts, you know I have alot to say on this issue
                              Items I have for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X