No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sellers Listing At Heavily Inflated Prices

Hi All

Scouting through the stamps section, I was drawn to an item that was listed with a claimed catalogue value of 100 pounds and was for sale for R100.00. The stamp in question was a used copy of the Basutoland KGVI one penny red. This stamp is listed as SACC 19 and is catalogued at R10.00. I brought this to the attention of the vendor together with numerous other items that were priced way over the top.

Another example from the same vendor was a mixed lot of about 40 stamps they claimed was worth thousands and was selling for R500 and on looking at the stamps which were in average to poor condition, were worth no more than R5 to R10.

Although I know I need not buy these stamps as no-one is forcing me, the question still remains - should this practice be allowed ? We all make mistakes but looking at this vendors material it appears to me they haver no idea of value and are guessing or on a more sinister note are on the look out for gullable buyers. There are a number of their items which are hopelessly overpriced

I brought these items to the attention of the seller and was advised to stop harrasing him/her. Do I lodge something with the community watch ?

Hi seahorsefanatic,

If you can supply proof to bidorbuy, please report it to community watch.

1. The following policies apply to all listings and are strictly prohibited:

1.1. Misrepresentation of items including:

1.1.1 Creating titles and descriptions that do not accurately describe the item for sale.

Thank you.
    bidorbuy Forum Administrator

bidorbuy.co.za - Africa's largest market place.
    bidorbuy on Facebook ~ What's hot on bidorbuy

< TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE US A GOOD RATING

Comment

Awesome

If BoB can get rid of those out to make a quick buck off ignorance, that's really great.
      VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Well, there's an old saying: "A price is what a fool pays for it."
        Obligatory link to my listings.

Comment

Hello Seahorsefanatic

I think that the crux of the matter is in your very first paragraph.
          an item that was listed with a claimed catalogue value of 100 pounds and was for sale for R100.00. The stamp in question was a used copy of the Basutoland KGVI one penny red. This stamp is listed as SACC 19 and is catalogued at R10.00.
          I feel that the vendor can charge what ever price he / she wants for an item – as long as the item is correctly described.

However, if the seller is making incorrect claims about the catalogue value, it should be considered as highly unethical.

I have mentioned this before – just try to sell a computer and give incorrect specs. What will happen?

Regards

Jacques
          Philately starts where the catalogue stops.
          Items I have for sale.

Comment

Misleading descriptions............

Today I saw another example of a misleading "mis-description", and posted the question below to the seller. The question relates to a BSAC 10 pound brown perfin used. SG cataloge numbers and values are given, yet revenue usage is not mentioned. From the sellers ratings, it is obvious that Voldermort is not a novice, therefore one can only assume that the description is deliberate- the statement is made-What you see is what you are bidding for-
            My advice to"investors" is to take a print of the stamp to a dealer and ask how much he is prepared to pay for the item...................

Question
            25 Dec 22:30
            Update Question
            What does mm perfin superb cond. mean? mm usually means mounted mint. This is a revenue perfin showing the date month and year of USAGE. It is wrong and misleading to quote the SG unused value when the Barefoot value for revenue usage would be the correct listing.my 1986 copy shows GBP50 for a used example.

If you still have more questions for voldermort (2499

Comment

Answer
              25 Dec 22:58
              MM means that it is not cancelled, perfin means that there are perforation holes & superb cond means that the stamp is in superb cond.
              As the ad states that this stamp is sold as per scan, if any prospective buyer is under the impression that this is a revenue stamp or not that is up to them to decide. I do believe my images as well as all my wordings in my ad are all very clear.I find nothing at all misleading in my ad or wordings when the word IF is very clearly visible.

See how we can all learn. When there are perforation holes in the stamp, it means that the stamp is not cancelled!...................

Comment

Answer
                25 Dec 22:58
                MM means that it is not cancelled, perfin means that there are perforation holes & superb cond means that the stamp is in superb cond.
                As the ad states that this stamp is sold as per scan, if any prospective buyer is under the impression that this is a revenue stamp or not that is up to them to decide. I do believe my images as well as all my wordings in my ad are all very clear.I find nothing at all misleading in my ad or wordings when the word IF is very clearly visible.

I vaguely remember you about a year or so ago, sending me quite a few questions all with the same theme & all similar to this one.......some things never change.
                Above is the answer I sent to you this time around, the 2nd question you had asked in the space of a few minutes on Christmas evening which I was trying to spend with my family (yes, some of us do have families & lives).

However your assumption that my description is deliberate is perhaps a bit too presumptious on your part seeing that nearly every one of my ads has the same wording "sold as per scan" inserted therein, or does that not suit you. Perhaps you would like to tell me exactly how to word my ads, also what prices to ask, how many different scans to take etc etc etc? Also of course, then every single seller who uses the words "sold as is", "sold as per image", "what you see is what you buy" etc is also deliberately attempting to mislead buyers or is it only I who has been singled out for the festive season?
                Of course though, if as you stated I am deliberately trying to mislead buyers, then all of the quite satisfied customers I have sold to must be totally unaware of what they are buying be it from me or other sellers, or should they rather just purchase directly from you?
                VIEW MY ITEMS!

“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill

Comment

See how we can all learn. When there are perforation holes in the stamp, it means that the stamp is not cancelled!...................

So we can...perforation holes in a stamp do not automatically mean that it is revenue, neither that it is postally cancelled, I would have imagined you would have learned that ages ago.
                  VIEW MY ITEMS!

“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill

Comment

Voldermort

Check the SG definition of superb and then alter your descriptions.

Gabriel1
                    Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hello
                      MM means that it is not cancelled
                      MM means mounted Mint – in other words NOT USED.

A used stamp is a used stamp. Whether cancelled by a rubber or cancelled by perforation.

A stamp cancelled by perforation is still cancelled! And still USED!

Regards

Jacques
                      Items I have for sale.

Comment

Seeing as people seem to be so eager to jump the gun here, perhaps they should be aware that our friend Librashares asked 3 x different questions, namely what is perfin, what is mm and what is superb condition.
                        All 3 x questions required 3 x different answers which were given.
                        I quite clearly stated in my ad that IF my stamp were mm the catalogue value was xxxxx, I also quite clearly stated that my stamp was PERFIN, and sold as per scan. At no time did I say that my stamp IS mounted mint.
                        I wonder if you all are not actually treating prospective buyers as ignorant amateurs?
                        Perhaps a number of buyers are far more knowledgeable than you all seem to be trying to make out?
                        VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Hello Voldermort
                          I wonder if you all are not actually treating prospective buyers as ignorant amateurs?
                          Perhaps a number of buyers are far more knowledgeable than you all seem to be trying to make out?
                          I firmly believe that most stamp collectors know more about stamps in their specific field(s) than the average dealer.

I also believe that the average stamp buyer on BidorBuy is intelligent and well informed.

However, there are many, many novices who do not have adequate knowledge.
                          As a person with a long term commitment to the stamp market, I will ALWAYS feel it my duty to inform (wherever I have the adequate knowledge to do so).

And I am more than willing to accept criticism (and alter my description accordingly) when someone points out that I have made a mistake.

The most fantastic thing about philately is that we learn all the time.

Thanks and regards

Jacques
                          Last edited by dstorm; 26-12-09, 13:38.
                          Items I have for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by dstorm View Post
                            Hello Voldermort

I firmly believe that most stamp collectors know more about stamps in their specific field(s) than the average dealer.

I also believe that the average stamp buyer on BidorBuy is intelligent and well informed.

However, there are many, many novices who do not have adequate knowledge.
                            As a person with a long term commitment to the stamp market, I will ALWAYS feel it my duty to inform (wherever I have the adequate knowledge to do so).

And I am more than willing to accept criticism (and alter my description accordingly) when someone points out that I have made a mistake.

The most fantastic thing about philately is that we learn all the time.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

100% agreed on all of the above.
                            I do believe that even with over 40 years joint experience there is still much more to be learnt.

In my time on BOB I have had buyers/sellers pointing out spelling errors/catalogue number errors/pricing errors/wrong pictures etc to me, all of which I have gratefully acknowledged as I intend to be on BOB for a very long time and my reputation is important to me as I'm sure you as a seller will understand.
                            However.........I have no intention of sitting back when certain people attempt to twist words I have put in my ads to suit themselves, why on earth would I place an ad of a clearly used stamp and say it is mm? Unless I have suddenly lost my mind.
                            The word IF was quite clearly visible in my ad, however there are some who choose to read & see only what suits them.
                            I have seen dealers selling very expensive catalogue valued stamps on BOB with no mention that the stamps have been repaired
                            /cleaned up / parcel cancellations etc all of which makes the stamp worth nothing & whivh I am sure they are aware of.
                            Perhaps these are the sellers who need closer watching?

Regards

Samantha/voldermort
                            VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Originally posted by voldermort View Post
                              I have seen dealers selling very expensive catalogue valued stamps on BOB with no mention that the stamps have been repaired
                              /cleaned up / parcel cancellations etc all of which makes the stamp worth nothing & whivh I am sure they are aware of.
                              Perhaps these are the sellers who need closer watching?
                              Hi voldermort

I quite agree with you on this. When I was just starting out collecting stamps, I was fooled by a seller here on Bob who did this to me. I bought a pair of Admiral stamps which according to the listing appeared to be quite valuable and value was very over-stated.

Needless to say, when I received the pair, I found that it was originally a pair with some of the perfs separated between the two stamps and very neatly taped together. No mention was made of this is the listing.

As I was very new to BoB at the time, I didn't do anything, but if I had to get something like that today, it would definitely have deserved a negative rating and I would have returned the stamps.

I will never forget that and will also never support that seller again. Lessons learnt.
                              VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Working...
                              X