No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boer War Relic

Hi

First of all I would like to state that I am not a collector of stamps and that my knowledge on the subject is embarrassingly poor. I do however from time to time come accross interesting items such as an envelope dating back to the boer war. This specific one was opened under martial law and has a pink sticker on the back. The envelope itself is in a relatively poor condition as it was not carefully opened, thus it is currently between 2 pieces of glass to keep it safe. Can someone please assist and tell me if it is worth anything? I am not so much interested in making money from it but rather concerned that it finds a good home as I believe it is a special item from a very famous part of South African history.

Please have a look at the pictures below....

regards

Joubert

Items I am selling.

Hello Gecko Coins

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

This type of cover is quite common.

The “Brits” were brilliant administrators and even though there was a war going on, the civilian postal service was a well oiled machine. For instance, take note that this item took 7 days (including censoring) to travel by train from Johannesburg to Cape Town (even nowadays a 7 day delivery time will be considered as acceptable and there is no war going on!).

Hundreds of thousands of these covers were mailed and many survived, especially the ones to the major cities (no cities were ravaged by the war).

Regards

Jacques
    Philately starts where the catalogue stops.
    Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hi

Jacques is 100% correct, the stamp and all postmarks are very common, the condition is very poor for such an item, value R20 - R30.

Regards
      Gabriel1
      Items I have for sale.

Comment

What a shame. Makes me definitely not want to put a pic of myself on this site! (lol) My grandchildren still believe that I was around when the Wright Brothers had their first flight and that I was running behind them. They also believe that I was around with the Rinderpest ...! Oh dear. ;)
        Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
        Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

Hello Lilythepink
          My grandchildren still believe that I was around when the Wright Brothers had their first flight and that I was running behind them.
          Not to worry…

My daughter once asked me whether I had dinosaurs as pets when I was young!

Regards

Jacques
          Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hello Jacques
            You working or loafing?.When you have finished feeding the T Rex,check if there is anything left in the whisky bottle.
            Cheers
            Kenny

Comment

Hello KennyN

We actually wanted to start a new topic: Who Killed Kenny?

Regards

Jacques
              Items I have for sale.

Comment

Working...
              X