Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mafeking question ...

Does anyone know anything about the Mafeking Mail - a newspaper called the "special siege slip" issued the during siege of mafeking during the Boer war?

I just aquired a box full of these in various thickness of paper and one copy in blue - the same colour as the famous stamp of Baden Powell was issued in.

Kind regards

Pierre

Use the internet...

Originally posted by Pierre_Henri View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the Mafeking Mail - a newspaper called the "special siege slip" issued the during siege of mafeking during the Boer war?

I just aquired a box full of these in various thickness of paper and one copy in blue - the same colour as the famous stamp of Baden Powell was issued in.

Kind regards

Pierre
    Use the internet search engine which rhymes with bugle:p

There are many references including one which has this information...

"Under Baden-Powell's command the small besieged community at Mafeking established a newspaper (siege slips), which were printed on thin paper in an underground printing press.
    These historic daily papers printed on any paper (see below) that could be found were distributed in Mafeking throughout the length of the siege. Many of the articles are quite cheeky, poking fun at their boer besiegers, but the overriding theme was that the people of Mafeking must stand fast."

It sounds as if they are rather fun - lucky you!:)
    "Truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

Comment

[quote=Pierre_Henri;72008]Does anyone know anything about the Mafeking Mail - a newspaper called the "special siege slip" issued the during siege of mafeking during the Boer war?

Kind regards

Pierre The 1899 - 1900 Mafeking Siege Notes and Paper

Hi,

Try the website above. a host of information there. interesting stuff!
      VIEW MY ITEMS!

Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do today

Comment

Working...
      X