No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Category Suggestions: Toys & Hobbies » Models » Railway

Dear Toys & Hobbies Railway Buyers and Sellers

We've had a request to make some category changes to Toys & Hobbies » Models » Railway. I thought that it would be a good idea to put this out to those involved in buying and selling Models on bidorbuy.

The suggestion that was given to us was the following:

In the Category, Toys and Hobbies, Models, Railway I suggest dividing the Railway category into The major Manufacturers that is available.

These being Hornby, Lima, Marklin, and Other.

Then within these Categories have 3 different Scales.

O Scale, N scale, OO/HO scale and Accessories.
    Adding too many sub-categories can result in too many clicks to get to what you are looking for, however having too few could result in the buyer not finding what he or she is looking for. Currently we have approximately 400 listings in the (Models » Railway) category. This translates into about 10 pages to go through without doing a search.

To give you some other ways of looking at this:

• The category could also split by scale first, then manufacturer.

Another way would be to split by type of product:
    • Buildings & landscape
    • Electrics
    • Locomotives
    • Rolling stock
    • Track
    • Train sets
    • Other
    Please keep in mind that although we have good quality listings, this category is still relatively small and large-scale changes are not always practical.

I'd like to hear your opinions and suggestions. Please keep to the topic and argue only the topic at hand.

Cheers!
    Craig

Craig Lubbe - bidorbuy.co.za - Africa's Largest Online Marketplace.
    bidorbuy on Facebook ~ What's hot on bidorbuy

< TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE US A GOOD RATING

Model train restructure

Morning, I prefer the second option proposed being spilt in loco's, rolling stock, buidlings, etc.

Only change I would porpose is that the electronics sections could be renamed to "Parts and spares".

Regards

Comment

category suggestion

I think that splitting into different categories like buildings, roling stock etc is a very good idea.

Comment

suggestion for change to Railway Model section

Bidorbuy is a great site, with a lot of potential sooner or late you will have to add sub categories. I think Brand name and scale would be the best way to start

Have a great day
        Regards Andre’ (Andre’sToys).

Comment

Model Trains Category Changes

I don't like too many categories (just visit ebay - I did, ONCE). I think a more practical method would be to split the Toys and Hobbies, Models, Railway category into 2 sub-categories, S.A.R and Other. Then within these, three different scales (N, HO, and Other). Regards.

Comment

Depending on practicallity of the changes, spliting into scale would be the first step. But my guess would be that majority would like the suggestion of splitting into Locos, rolling stock etc. The only concern I have is that with too many sub categories one might overlook some items. Also, sellers then need to make sure they put their items in the correct sub category.

Comment

regrouping of Toys + Hobbies i.r.o. Model Railways

Having auctioned quite actively (and also offered for auction and buy-now instances) I dare say, that I have had no trouble finding what I wished to see at any given time. For me, like surely also for other 'collectors' of model railroad equipment, I am interested only in gauge/size of my model collection. I very quickly, after clicking through Toys+Hobbies, clicked on Models and Railways, I put into the search line 'N-gauge' (or HO gauge) and I see very promptly ALL I wish to see ... there are 1.1/2 Pages - a max of 60 items of N-gauge on offer at any given time in the section I am interested in.!It has been no problem at all to locate the items I am interested in - watchlist it - and then study them in detail. That's been the pattern! I suggest that someone goes looks at eBay.de (where I have been bidding for thousands of items with alacrity) . They have just short of 1 million pieces of model railroad equipment always on offer. Their side navigation leads to the individual gauges, then to the breakdown of what is offered, like suggested above. They have additional sub-filters, if needed (like brand names, product type etc) ... do it now and you will find that they have an average 47.800 items of N-gauage material on offer and additonally 150.000 items of H0 stuff, plus, plus, plus ..... If/when bidorbuy grows to that stage, then of course it would be time for further segregation, otherwise, if you ask me, under model railroad equipment, the only selection required most importantly, is the gauge segregation - I have little time to look at houses for e.g. H0 - such a change would facilitate and speed up my choices very much. All the rest is a matter of looking for 2 minutes maximum, may be. Have a great railroading day! heinzey

Comment

Thanks for the effort you are making Craig!

First sub-category should be the scale/gauge > then type > then manufacturer

The rest of the info could then be in the listing
                Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.
                My Bid or Buy Items

Comment

I also prefer the second option, once offers reach a thousand and more you can then think of splitting up into different makes and scales.

Comment

Sub catagories

Hi Craig

Sub catagories are needed for popular hobby catagories - die cast - model trains and plastic model kits ect.

Some of the sub catagories are manufacture - scale - series/type

So I'm all for constant tweeking of the catagories for the Hobbies secton

Regards

George Winship

Comment

Railway Hobbies

Hi - i also like Craig`s idea as opposed to the users idea - but at this stage i would not go as far as SA etc stuff - keep it simple and straight forward so that anyone understands what you are trying to sell. :p

Comment

We make use of BOB - model railway - quite extensively - and perhaps for browsing reasons the sub-catagories would maybe be handy - but from a sellers point of view: 1. it would make listing items on BOB MUCH more difficult/time consuming - changing catagories all the time and having to see what should go where etc
                        2. as a seller , I much prefer 'browsers' or potential buyers to be looking at all listed items in the hopes they find something that appeals to them.

the only change i would love to see - is an easier way to list - ie : in bulk .

Comment

Railway Hobbies

Hi Craig.
                          Thank you for the oppertunity. I would just like to see the scales split up. Sometimes you have to view a couple of pages just to find that there is no N scale items. Other than that the simpler the better. Too many sub categories can make you miss an item, especially if it was listed under the incorrect sub.
                          Regards
                          Ivan;)

Comment

@debbie40 - Bulk Listing is available. For info on this - Help - How to Sell - Bulk Upload
                            Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.
                            My Bid or Buy Items

Comment

Originally posted by debbie40 View Post
                              We make use of BOB - model railway - quite extensively - and perhaps for browsing reasons the sub-catagories would maybe be handy - but from a sellers point of view: 1. it would make listing items on BOB MUCH more difficult/time consuming - changing catagories all the time and having to see what should go where etc
                              2. as a seller , I much prefer 'browsers' or potential buyers to be looking at all listed items in the hopes they find something that appeals to them.

the only change i would love to see - is an easier way to list - ie : in bulk .

It can get quite time consuming, I agree!
                              Have you ever tried using the "picklist" features? This helps when you have many items already listed and you'd like to relist a whole lot of them again and again :-)
                              Add to Pick list - How does it work

Regarding categories, perhaps we could make a special search to test out on this category where you could select your Scale and/or Manufacturer. That way you could filter out results you do not want, while sellers could list in the same way as before.

What do you think about that?
                              Last edited by Craig; 24-03-10, 12:03.

Craig Lubbe - bidorbuy.co.za - Africa's Largest Online Marketplace.
                              bidorbuy on Facebook ~ What's hot on bidorbuy

< TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE US A GOOD RATING

Comment

Working...
                              X