No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rating input field limited to 150 characters

Hi All

Just a note on the rating input field. We have cut down the number of characters that one may add in the rating input form to 150. This should force users to leave brief but pertinent feedback, and should hopefully reduce the abuse and "clutter" of all the negative feedback comments which generally tend to go on and on and sometimes contain unnecessary details, vulgar language, accusations, and slanderous comments. This won't stop the abuse but should hopefully reduce the amount of abuse that is entered into this form.

Kind regards
    Cuan

[as brought up in its own thread elsewhere before I was brought to the attention of this thread]

I feel this limit of 150 characters to be well, too limiting. One cannot explain everything in the space that's as big as one single SMS. And I also feel this may be what fuels a lot of the problems people have with revenge ratings and so forth: because people find they cannot express their side of the argument and therefore can only resort to a negative rating, or also because the limited characters lead to quite impersonal sounding messages due to one NEEDING to condense their messages and words, either making someone sound short tempered and rude or like an idiot who uses way too much abbreviations.

Please could this limit be lifted or simply increased? I'm sure this would certainly improve communication between sellers and buyers and not force people to speak in retarded SMS abbreviation methods. It's a win win for everyone.

[and in response to this reasoning]

Is it not bidorbuy's purpose to receive mail from users about abusive ratings and then to deal with them on an individual basis (ie bidorbuy edits the ratings?) I just feel taking away people's ability to explain will lead to the above mentioned miscommunication. Next thing we know bidorbuy might as well remove all characters allowed and only allow the positive neutral or negative symbol :?
    Clothes|Accessories|Shoes|Stuff!

Comment

Hi there

We feel the limit is justified and is sufficient to leave the necessary feedback. Communication between users should not take place via the rating system, this is only for users to leave feedback regarding the transaction. The limit should force users to think carefully about their response as opposed to leaving an essay on what happened, which in most cases of a negative rating is abusive and retaliatory. We feel this can be done by leaving concise, factual and civil responses within the 150 character limit.

Kind regards
      Cuan

Comment

Well sorry for stirring things here but I don't feel the rest of us majorities should be punished for the rude abusiveness of the few :? How about a vote?

Comment

No need to apologise, but a vote will not change this I'm afraid, this is the decision we have taken. Unfortunately the few that abuse it do make it harder for the responsible users out there, and it causes untold disputes and conflicts which we have to deal with on an almost daily basis, we cannot allow this.

Kind regards
          Cuan

Comment

Alright then... I understand, I do believe your time is better spent blacklisting scammers etc. I understand but I don't agree though, maybe one day bidorbuy will be so well staffed that there will be enough people to look after all these aspects of the site without resorting to sweeping things under the rug by taking away functions?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. We haven't taken away this function, just limited the amount of feedback that can be left. You just need to be more concise and relevant when leaving feedback...

Kind regards
              Cuan

Comment

Working...
              X