No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your comments please!

Hello all

Can somebody give me some input please about the following scenario.

An item is up for sale with a bid increment of R50-00.

Bidder A bids up to R500-00 at which level he gets outbid at R550-00 by bidder B. Bidder C enters the scene at chases Bidder B up to R750-00. Bidder B stops at R750-0 and Bidder C gets the item at R800-00. All fair and square.

Two weeks later, after an SNC is filed against him, bidder C does still not pay for the item / honour his commitment.

Should Bidder B be offered the item at R750-00 or at R550-00?

On the one hand it can be said that Bidder B was prepared to pay R750-00 for the item.

On the other hand, just perhaps, bidder B would have had the item at R550-00 if the non-paying Bidder C never entered the scene.

Your comments please.

Thanks and regards

Jacques
    Last edited by dstorm; 08-09-10, 22:06.
    Philately starts where the catalogue stops.
    Items I have for sale.

Hi Jaques,

The system will only allow you to make a personal offer to Bidder B for the amount of R750-00, the amount he was outbid on. You can not change the amount when making a personal offer.
    bidorbuy Forum Administrator

bidorbuy.co.za - Africa's largest market place.
    bidorbuy on Facebook ~ What's hot on bidorbuy

< TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE US A GOOD RATING

Comment

Bid or Buy's limitations aside Jacques, your scenario is very interesting. As you say if C had not entered B would have won at R550.

I think I'll have to sit on the fence on this one.

But would suggest that C is shot at dawn.
      Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

Hello admin and Mellowred

Would it be fair for Bidder B to make an offer of R550-00 + the loss of commission on R200-00 (R750-00 deal to BoB) to the seller? In other words, still do the deal through BoB, but pay less than R750-00? Say roughly offer R600-00.

Regards

Jacques
        Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hi Jaques,

Obviously the seller can not offer the item to bidder b at a lesser price than the bid price through the auction that closed via a personal offer, so the seller will have to create a buy now for bidder b at any price they agree on.

Hope we are on the same wavelength on this, had a rough day and is less "there" than usual.

Comment

Thanks admin

I have the sellerís email address (I bought before) so if I wanted to bypass BoB, I could have taken a chance and (with the seller agreeing) perhaps might have succeeded in paying less.

But I feel a bit done in (I am Bidder B), so I think I will just leave the whole thing.

Regards

Jacques
            Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hi Jaques,

If the seller is willing to list the item for you at R550, I do not think anyone would have a problem with that, even if you agreed upon that in emails. As long as the sale goes through bidorbuy ;)

Comment

Hi Jacques,

I cannot see how BoB can object to the item being re-listed at whatever price you and the seller agree on. If I understand Admin - that is what he is saying too.

The R800 deal fell through. BoB gets no commission.

A new listing is just that ... a new listing. Caun may not agree tho :p.
                Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

Thanks Mellowred

I have known Bidder C for many a year (he has been on BoB with a couple of usernames). I honestly believe that he only bid on the item to keep it away from me.

If I had my way, he would have been shot long before dawn.

Regards

Jacques
                  Items I have for sale.

Comment

From the seller's viewpoint, obviously R750 - aka the second highest bid made on the item...

From a fairness viewpoint, I'd say R550 - all bids by the non-payer should be disregarded, as well as all auto-bids due to it. The reason being is that auctions are about paying the lowest price for an item, from the perspective of a buyer.

Obviously the seller and BoB wants the highest price possible...

Personally, I don't like the functionality to offer an item to a runner-up(s), but I'll leave my suggestions in my head.
                    Obligatory link to my listings.

Comment

Working...
                    X