This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 suggestions about new members

We often come across two problems: A. New sellers who join today and list expensive items for a short period AKA: hit and run. B. New buyers who bid on items and then forget all about it ... AKA newbie non-payer.

I have two thoughts - which I am sure have occured to the BoB team.

A. You can only start selling a month after registration. (I think most people start as buyers and only become sellers after a while) - This enables the BoB team to check out the applicant (whether they have been blacklisted or have other accounts - I am not suggesting they become verified) and the dicey seller cannot implement their scheme on an impulse.

B. A new applicant has to pay a deposit (lets say R250) before they are cleared, which will be refunded if they complete a number (?) of transactions honourably, or decide to close their account. This should not take more than 3 days, or be quick enough for the prospective buyer not to lose out on a coveted item.

This will prevent 'childish' bidding as the buyer will lose the deposit if they don't honour the bid - and perhaps a relief fund can benefit? I have had to file SNC for about 10% of transactions!

When I go to an auction I have to pay a deposit in order to get a bidding card. This is an international practice.

I am under the impression that the Bidorbuy company is now well established and can afford to weed out prospective members who do not have a social conscience.

There have been many positive changes to the payment options and listing process recently, which I enjoy very much, and I must say it is a tremendous pleasure to be a part of the Bidorbuy community :)

With Love and Appreciation - Vered
    Buying used goods is a higher form of recycling
    Items I have for sale.

I think both suggestions sound very fair. Let's hear what others (in particular, Cuan) think about them.
    Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
    Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

Hi

Thank you for the suggestions, however, we would not implement them for a number of reasons. Mainly because we do not want to create barriers of entry for the majority of new legitimate users and secondly, the time, resources and costs involved in dealing with finances, banking fees, refunds, and administration.

I am not aware of any other site that does this. We have over 4000-5000 new registrations a week, it is virtually impossible to vett all these people manually, and no system can do this currently. From past experience, charging a new user to use the site only discourages new users from registering and using a site, for example - aucoractive.co.za used to charge users to bid (10% deposit for the item), the business model simply does not work and they closed down after a few years due to lack of users.

Thanks again for your suggestions, they are appreciated.

Kind regards
      Cuan

Comment

Hi Cuan;

Thanks for your reply - I am aware of these considerations and I trust that the system is as user friendly as possible - I just wish there was a way to avoid the hassle of non-payers!

Vered
        Buying used goods is a higher form of recycling
        Items I have for sale.

Comment

I wish there was a simple way too... :)

The problem is with these suggestions is that we would be basically branding all new users as non paying users. This creates the wrong impression for new buyers who come to the site. Most of the time, a non paying user will only be discovered after a transaction has taken place, no one can predict this when they first start using the site and no amount of vetting or confirming details will guarantee that they will pay.

Thanks again, we just have to manage this as best we can, until a plausible solution presents itself.

Kind regards
          Cuan

Comment

Hi Cuan - thanks for the great explanation.

Is this an out-of-place question, but how many registered (and good) users do we have on BoB. If this is a trade secret, please forgive me for asking. Thanks.
            Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
            Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

Unfortunately I do not have this information.

Kind regards
              Cuan

Comment

Working...
              X