Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ddr3 vs ddr2

so , i needed a new machine to replace the 1 i sold this week , so i won 1 on wednesdays auction , paid immediately for a courier services and that what i got , so i recieved the machine in good time and in good order and im quite pleased with my purchase.............but.........the auction advertised the memory as 4gb DDR3 and even though i dont know that much , i knew when i saw DDR3 i was bidding on something awesome just like i wanted....but now i have mentioned to a buddy who is quite the computer/it expert and he says he doubts the DV6 comes with DDR3 memory...i have since emailed the seller to get confirmation that it is infact DDR3 as advertised......so since i havnt recieved a reply , im hoping someone can advise me on how to check whether it is DDR3 or DDR2.......also what exactly is the difference between DDR3 and DDR2
    COME WITH US............

Hi

The HP DV6 uses DDR2 memory. Not very much difference between the 2 except that the DDR3's performance is faster, uses less energy and is more expensive than the DDR2.

Here is a link to your PC's hardware and accessories (click on: Memory).

HP Pavilion dv6-1200 Entertainment Notebook PC series - Accessories, supplies & services

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Last edited by Virgotec; 12-11-10, 20:18.
    We do IT!
    See all our listings here...

Comment

It seems that DDR3 could be installed. How to find information stored on your PC:

What if Product Specifications For Your Notebook Are Not Available On The Web? HP Pavilion dv6-1225ei Entertainment Notebook PC - HP technical support (South Africa - English)

Click on "Information you can find on our computer" at the bottom of the page, and search for "Memory".
      Last edited by Digitrade; 12-11-10, 20:08.
      Click on the link to visit my BOB SHOP:
      VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

The HP Pavilion DV6-1225ei that you bought has a graphics card with DDR3 Ram.
        bidorbuy Forum Administrator

bidorbuy.co.za - Africa's largest market place.
        bidorbuy on Facebook ~ What's hot on bidorbuy

< TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE US A GOOD RATING

Comment

Originally posted by OHT32 View Post
          Hi

The HP DV6 uses DDR2 memory. Not very much difference between the 2 except that the DDR3's performance is faster, uses less energy and is more expensive than the DDR2.

Here is a link to your PC's hardware and accessories (click on: Memory).

HP Pavilion dv6-1200 Entertainment Notebook PC series - Accessories, supplies & services

Hope this helps.

Regards
          HI thanks that helps alot guys , so im guessing that my machine does not have DDR3 ram but DDR2
          COME WITH US............

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
            The HP Pavilion DV6-1225ei that you bought has a graphics card with DDR3 Ram.
            Howsit Admin , but the advert said 4gb DDR3 ram in 3 different places and also mentioned the DDR3 graphics card......so if it is infact 4GB of DDR2 ram instead of DDR3 , then its fair to say the advert was deceptive and while i am very happy with my buy , i would need to take it up with the seller....?!
            COME WITH US............

Comment

Originally posted by Digitrade View Post
              It seems that DDR3 could be installed. How to find information stored on your PC:

What if Product Specifications For Your Notebook Are Not Available On The Web? HP Pavilion dv6-1225ei Entertainment Notebook PC - HP technical support (South Africa - English)

Click on "Information you can find on our computer" at the bottom of the page, and search for "Memory".
              hi DT you are correct it can possibly be DDR3 but how do i check without having to go to someone professional?
              COME WITH US............

Comment

Here is a link if you want to physically look at the memory. DDR2 for notebooks has 200 pins, DDR3 has 204 pins. The thread is worth reading as well.
                ddr2 1066 or ddr3 1066 after market upgrade to Asus G51VX-A1? - XOTICPC Forums

If you don't want to open the machine to look at the memory, download SIW Without Installer (English-Only) from SIW | Download
                Scroll to freeware version and download the SIW without installer. Save and then run the application. Go to the hardware section and click on memory.

The app will also tell you a lot more than you ever wanted to know about your machine.
                Items I have on offer

Veni, Vidi, Vendor - I came, I saw, I registered as a seller

Comment

Oryxza , you are a SUPERSTAR!!! thank you very much that worked perfectly and you right it gives every possible detail you could possibly want and even not know or care about..............sadly i have a laptop that has DDR2 ram and not DDR3...........so now what do i do??? seller put it in the title (HP Pavilion DV6-1225ei 15.6-InchHD LED Laptop 2. GHz Core Duo Processor, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, 320 GB HDD)and twice in the description that the machine had 4gb DDR3 ram , thats definitely false advertising..........what do i do now?
                  COME WITH US............

Comment

haha O this program of yours is a laptop sellers worst nightmare , i just found another thing that was flasely advertised....the advert claimed = ATI RADEON HD 4530 GRAPHICS WITH 512MB DDR3 DEDICATED MEMORY AND 1790MB SHARED but when i check the magic machine , it says it only has 1262mb shared memory....thats not so cool , becuase if it wasnt mentioned in the advert it wouldnt actually have been a problem the shared memory should just have been left out...........dont you think?
                    COME WITH US............

Comment

Just bear in mind that utilities like SIW will only report what is encoded in the hardware etc and that there can be mistakes. It does happen.

The problem with the description of the graphics subsystem in my mind starts with the manufacturer and the marketing people.
                      It should say
                      ● Up to 1791 MB video memory on computer
                      models equipped with 4 GB of main system
                      memory

I don't believe the seller was knowingly misleading in terms of the graphics memory and even possibly the main memory as these desciptions are mostly taken from supplier pricelists and just copied and pasted into listings / print ads etc.

The bad marketing starts from the top. It would probably be better for it to have explicitly stated * Up to 1790 MB shared memory .
                      Hard drives should probably also be advertised as eg 320GB raw capacity (formatted capacity WILL differ)
                      Ink cartridges should probably say eg 520 pages (at 5% page coverage)

These things are usually stated in the fine print, but the fine print never makes it to the ad copy :(

Enough about the marketing.
                      You may also be able to check the system bios to see if the amount of shared memory available to the graphics card can be altered.

It looks like you got a great machine for a very good price nonetheless.
                      Items I have on offer

Veni, Vidi, Vendor - I came, I saw, I registered as a seller

Comment

thanks for your time , effort and all the schooling , it is truly appreciated..........i am without doubt very happy with the machine but no one likes to be mislead , if it wasnt a seller who constantly sells laptops ti wouldnt have bothered me at all , but more then anything this was more a case of 'Wanting to know' , so thanks a million for all your input....have a super day my friend
                        COME WITH US............

Comment

I would demand what you payed for since you did pay for DDR3

Comment

well i have emailed the seller and await a response i will give him some time to respond before i do anything , i just hope he does at least make some effort.....after thinking about it and checking the stuff he sells , he had to know what he was doing
                            COME WITH US............

Comment

Working...
                            X