Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buyer doing it their way

I need advice from you guys who have experienced every kind of weird situation on BoB.

I also need input on whether you think I am over reacting and need a holiday ...

A newbie won a very nice item from me. I wrote them a very nice success letter with guidance and smilies - wishing them a pleasant experience on BoB. ( I am a good mother and love babies ...)

I never heard from them again.

I wrote an sms urging them to check their hotmail and complete the order. NO REPLY.

4 days later I rated them negative because I saw that in the meantime they had bid on two more auctions - not mine - to warn the other sellers that these people behave like ghosts. I also wrote them another e-mail explaining the negative rating and saying I will rate positive when payment is in my hand.

Now, a day before the SNC can be filed, I get an SMS saying: "Please sms your banking details so I can pay."

I always sign my e-mails with my cell number so they either saw my sms or saw an e-mail or checked on their Bidorbuy page.

Now - funnily enough I DONT WANT TO SMS MY BANKING DETAILS!

I don't know why really ... I just felt like a kicked dog being ordered around - like abused!

I WANT them to complete the order!!!!

I WANT them to play by the rules!!! Even if it means losing the sale.

Have I gone mental? Am I sticking to my guns for nothing?
    Buying used goods is a higher form of recycling
    Items I have for sale.

Some of us have principles.
    Some of us don't.
    You do.
    Stick by them. :)
    Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

Originally posted by mellowred View Post
      Some of us have principles.
      Some of us don't.
      You do.
      Stick by them. :)
      Thanks for your response but can you please explain what prompted you to say that? What is your take on this kind of situation?

I really need some meaningful input - am I within my rights or am I being principled over a bagatelle?
      Items I have for sale.

Comment

I had a look at the item that you sold and the username of the buyer. I do not think that they completely understand the prosedure to follow yet. They seem like foreigners. I would suggest that you resend the banking details. Be patient for another day or two. If they do not pay, proceed with the SNC.
        Click on the link to visit my BOB SHOP:
        VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Truth is the buyer ignored you so you have got your back up.
          I would say bend a bit as the buyer is new on Bob and may just not know what to do next.
          I would have phoned to help him. Eventhough he/she is foreign --may speak english

Have you gone mental?? I do sometimes. It goes with the territory.
          VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Originally posted by Vegar View Post
            I need advice from you guys who have experienced every kind of weird situation on BoB.

I also need input on whether you think I am over reacting and need a holiday ...

A newbie won a very nice item from me. I wrote them a very nice success letter with guidance and smilies - wishing them a pleasant experience on BoB. ( I am a good mother and love babies ...)

I wrote an sms urging them to check their hotmail and complete the order. NO REPLY.

4 days later I rated them negative because I saw that in the meantime they had bid on two more auctions - not mine - to warn the other sellers that these people behave like ghosts. I also wrote them another e-mail explaining the negative rating and saying I will rate positive when payment is in my hand.

Now, a day before the SNC can be filed, I get an SMS saying: "Please sms your banking details so I can pay."

I always sign my e-mails with my cell number so they either saw my sms or saw an e-mail or checked on their Bidorbuy page.

I don't know why really ... I just felt like a kicked dog being ordered around - like abused!

I do understand your frustration however if it is the item that I saw, then it closed on 23 June? My opinion (from a selling point of view) is that the best thing to do is to file the snc before giving a negative rating.
            I personally just assume that a negative rating is only to be given once every other avenue has been closed down........ie: emails sent, snc completed & buyer blocked, only then will I give them a negative.
            I always think the best thing to do is to send a "congratulations" email after the item has closed, another after 3/4 days if no response and a final email just a day or so before filing the snc. A lot of the newbies, as digitrade pointed out, just don't understand the procedure (regardless of how many emails you send them) & it is with these buyers that patience really does become a virtue.
            I have also found that a lot of buyers automatically assume that it is fine to pay at the end of the month, regardless of whether they have informed you of this or not so I also tend to hang on with the snc's til then.......a pain, yes it is but as I said, especially with the newbies sometimes patience does become a virtue.
            VIEW MY ITEMS!

“You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks for replies :)

I am a very nurturing seller - as you can see I did the e-mail and sms thing. I am also very patient and tolerant - except when being ignored ...

I have experience with the ignoring behaviour of buyers - filed and completed 66 SNCs to date.

I did consider the fact that they may be 'foreigners' with not so good English ... however, they managed to register and bid and today sent a very eloquent demand for my banking details.

I also considered the possibility that they don't have access to a computer at all times.

I feel that if a person is able to register and bid, but unable to complete the order - follow the prompts and add the shipping - then they need to stick to simpler methods of trade or LEARN.

They could also phone ...

They will do the same to the next seller.
              Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hi Vegar

I agree with your sentiments.

I have found that many buyers are just plain inconsiderate and there are a few that are downright rude.

If I buy an item, I make sure I contact the seller, by phone, if necessary, and make sure that I understand exactly what the requirements and then make payment accordingly.
                I would never dream of ignoring an email or an sms, and don't ignore my buyers when they contact me either.

Apparently, though, this is too much to ask from some buyers.

They expect excellent service and are quick to complain if they feel slighted in the smallest way, whether this was intended or not (Occasionally, emails sometimes get lost in cyberspace - such as when the ISP is acting up).

Surely, it is just good manners to reply when someone contacts you, and especially if you owe them money.

I also understand that alot of the newbies don't understand the system, but in my congratulations email and the reminders I send out, I give step-by-step instructions on exactly what is to be done.
                I also explicitly state that they are welcome to contact me if there are any questions.
                So, in my book, that excuse does not wash either.

Yet, despite all this, many still ignore the emails. What are we to conclude, then?
                Bad Manners?
                Fooling Around?

And, you're right, they will do it to the next seller

Very frustrating.
                VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

You must stick to your guns...you can not give in to every buyer.
                  We learnt this the hard way - be strict, or get abused, there is no in-between.
                  VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

YES!!!!

I stuck to my guns and they managed to complete the order!!!
                    I think that what did it was the negative rating. I have now changed that to NEUTRAL and sent a congratulatory sms saying I will give a positive rating when I see the money.

I am a fighter ...:D and sometimes I win !!

Thanks to Tananka and RAG for substantial support and voices of reason :)
                    Items I have for sale.

Comment

Thanks for your response but can you please explain what prompted you to say that? What is your take on this kind of situation?

I really need some meaningful input - am I within my rights or am I being principled over a bagatelle?
                      Hi Vegar,

My take is that I also detest rude people and agree whole-heartedly with your sentiments on this one.

Replying to an e-mail is just common courtesy ... demanding SMSs are just plain rude.

Whether a buyer/seller is new or experienced has no bearing on their attitude. I send a personal mail with an invoice attached, and follow up in 4 or 5 days. If I don't get a response, I rate negative and file an SNC. The rating system is there to provide an indication of the response/service you can expect to receive from a BoB user. It is very important to rate honestly.

I've been ignored by long-term buyers and nothing annoys me more than when they respond to an SNC. It amazes me that they receive and read the BoB emails but ignore mine.

The fact that the person may be foreign or new is also irrelevant. I agree that if they are equipped to register on BoB; read an auction; and bid on an item, then they are equipped to respond to your mail ... even if only to tell you that they do not know how to proceed.

You have principles. I'm glad to see you stick to them. :)
                      Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

It seems that you and the buyer have resolved the issue, as I see that you rated him positive for payment received.

Just to add to this thread. I also had a new buyer last week. He bought four items from different users. He phoned me and said that he used the BoBpay-EFT function to pay one of the other sellers and he was not happy with all the codes to be entered upon payment. He would prefer to pay directly into my account.

I do not know if you have the option for users to pay you with direct EFT/Cash. Maybe these buyers also did not understand the BoBpay-EFT completely?

Just glad to see it all worked out!
                        Click on the link to visit my BOB SHOP:
                        VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Hi Mellow;

Yes the rating system is there to give an honest reflection on the response/service of both seller and buyer, in fact it is our only tool to gauge who we are dealing with.

The problem now is that the next seller this person deals with might get the same treatment and not know that the buyer has a tendency to ignore communication. I rated them positive - usually I will say when the communication was good but not when it was atrocious.

I have a rating system I use.

I thank all buyers for payment and I qualify that if the the payment was 'prompt' or 'fast'. If I don't qualify it means payment came late. On other aspects I give stars - low: *** - good **** - excellent ***** five stars.

If my rating has no praise words and no stars it means they paid after SNC. So when a buyer comes back I look at 'all sales to buyer' and I know how they made me feel ....

DIGITRADE, I think there is only one code you put in the reference - anyway my buyer might have gotten help from someone because they managed to pay :)

I had my personal bank details on my payment methods page until last week when someone said they can be used by criminals ... ??

If someone COMMUNICATES their wish to pay my personal account I am more than happy to oblige ... they still have to 'Complete your purchase' !!!

Every transaction is a learning experience :) and who do I come running to when in doubt ?? I do so appreciate all you supportive responsive people !!!
                          Items I have for sale.

Comment

The beak must add it's 10 cents worth and agree with vegar that every transaction is a learning experience and, when in doubt, I also run to the Forum! :D
                            Last edited by lilythepink; 29-06-10, 08:56.
                            Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
                            Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

I must admit though from a buyer and seller point of view, sometimes things just get so hectic on this side that it takes me a few days to get back to someone regarding an order or query.

But at the end of the day, I do reply to each person - sometimes eventually - but apologise for the delay in my reply.

Running a "one-woman-show" on this side has it's pitfalls, and the main one is simply running out of time to get to stuff. Example being that we arrived back from Cape Town over 7 weeks ago, and I'm only getting to listing that stock now! If only I had an assistant... I've got parcels to get out today too!

I do however agree that it is infuriating when you don't hear from a buyer but they (sometimes) miraculously appear once you've filed the SNC despite numerous reminder emails being sent. I find that those buyers usually tend to rate you poorly due to them finding you as the seller not to be understanding nor patient!

Oh well... you win some, you lose some!
                              Click here for great deals!

Comment

Working...
                              X