No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spreadsheet View - little bug

Hi BOB.

The new spreadsheet view is very awesome. We have successfully implemented it into our intranet system over here and it works very smoothly.

The one problem which we are having, is that excel takes away any leading zeros from the "Postal Code" column. This causes problems with printing invoices, postage slips, etc.

Is it not possible to have the Post code column formatted to text when we download the spreadsheet? All leading zeros are then retained.

I am sure I could find a work around on our system, but if it is at all fixable, it may be helpful for other sellers.
    VIEW MY ITEMS!

Originally posted by RAG Auctioneers View Post
    Hi BOB.

The new spreadsheet view is very awesome. We have successfully implemented it into our intranet system over here and it works very smoothly.

The one problem which we are having, is that excel takes away any leading zeros from the "Postal Code" column. This causes problems with printing invoices, postage slips, etc.

Is it not possible to have the Post code column formatted to text when we download the spreadsheet? All leading zeros are then retained.

I am sure I could find a work around on our system, but if it is at all fixable, it may be helpful for other sellers.
    Thanks for the info - it will not be too difficult to fix. We will post an update in this thread soon.
    Review www.bidorbuy.co.za on alexa.com
    Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

Comment

Yes, this is a little bug.
      At the moment I'm fixing it myself, but it would be great if that column was in text format.
      VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Thanks MM!
        VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Just a follow-up on this issue. While last night I still thought that we are not escaping the postal code with double-quotes, I just got feedback that we already do this.

We have done some more research on this and it seems that Excel will strip off leading zeros if one opens the CSV without going through the import process. This is truly frustrating and if you look at this Google search there does not seem to be a clean solution.

There seems to be only one option:
          - Leave the CSV file as is and then use Excel's import function and at the very last step scroll to the postal code column and change it's data-type from "Generic" to "Text"

This article describes how it can be done.

The only other option is to prepend a "=" in front of those columns, but this would then result in a CSV file which can not be processed by anything else but Excel.

Perhaps some Excel experts out there who have some suggestions?

One thought from us would be to place a checkbox "Export in Excel importable format" on the spreadsheet tab, which would prefix some of the columns with the "=" - downside is that the same CSV can not be opened by anything else.
          Last edited by MacMuffin; 30-07-10, 07:41.
          Review www.bidorbuy.co.za on alexa.com
          Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

Comment

Originally posted by RAG Auctioneers View Post
            After this post we did some research and found Excel strips leading zeros off numbers in some circumstances. Not very helpful Mr Mircrosoft as this was messing up some post codes and phone numbers in your sales data.

So the download section of the Sales page has just been altered to give two options for each download.

One returns a CSV format modified for Excel so values with leading zeros should not get stripped.

The other returns a CSV format for other tools - which may not understand the special fix for Excel. Those tools probably do not strip the leading zeros anyway.
            Last edited by mike; 04-08-10, 03:55.

What's hot on bidorbuy

< CLICK TO RATE AND COMMENT

Comment

Ahh, I see, it was excels fault.

Thanks for work around guys.
              VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Working...
              X