Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom, exise duties when buying from overseas

Any one have a rough idea how much one gets charged for custom duties etc when purchasing cameras from foreign merchants. Is it worth it ?
    Any tips, ideas ?

Go into the RSA Customs and Excise web site and look up the import code for cameras...there might also be info on the SARS web site cant remember. There also could be other charges. You might have to supply a letter from your bank re the funds transfer overseas. Good luck.
    My age is but an irrelevant number !
    Items I am selling.

Comment

Easier to buy from a seller in SA.
      Selective choices allow for selective karma...choose wisely
      Click here to veiw my Items here

Comment

If you're going to be buying fancy SLR cameras then I would definitely recommend buying local stock with local warranties. If you import and something goes wrong you're going to be stuck with either a very hefty repair bill or a very expensive paperweight.
        Visit my hive!

Comment

Hi, if you want to buy a camera go the SA route, you will get your warranty. If you don't want worry about warranties and are prepared to pay for all repairs ect. then only must you import. I have imported some items and depends from who you buy. I bought from a place in the US and I paid for a lens that cost $60 with import and courier fee I paid R1450. Then some stuff from China the company I bought from paid the courier fee and when DHL delivered to my door, I paid in nothing. So I also think that it is the way the company post it.
          What photography equipment do you plan on buying?

Comment

It's worthwhile checking the custom charges but always bear in mind that the person who charges you at the time the parcel is in his/her hands does not always use the set charges. Imported items (even ordinary documents) have unrealistic custom duties levied on them and you never know what they are until the items arrive and you have to pay for them!
            Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
            Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

I know clothing is darn expensive, I bought those jackets on BOB that almost went missing. When I collected it, I paid R1000 at the post office

Comment

I've been importing a lot of gems and related items over the past few months. Most parcels come in with only the R25 charge, some with no charge at all, but then you get the ones where the customs agent does not know the difference between a loose unset gem and one clad in precious metal (gold)! Those parcels are not even accepted - they get sent directly back to the customs department for reassessment! My suppliers usually send an invoice with the photograph of the item with the actual amounts paid - and that is where the customs agents get confused! They see a gem being held in a tweezer and they slap on the "gold jewellery" fees! Now try to explain to someone who does not know what a tweezer is that it is NOT an item of jewellery! It takes a while, but most times the reassessment is much lower.

But then you get the good few parcels that are accepted in at customs but never make it to their destination... all my parcels that were dispatched from overseas in the second week of September have vanished (with a combined value of R4000)!

So in my "market" it is considerably cheaper to get the items imported - and the quality is way better than what it offered locally. But when it comes to an electronic or working part - I'd weigh up my options first based primarily on the warranty / guarantee side of things! The last thing you need is to end up with an expensive paperweight (as mentioned by BumbleBee!).
                Last edited by Cali Craft and Gems; 04-11-10, 09:36.
                Click here for great deals!

Comment

Thanks guys for your advice. I was actually planning on buying a small P&S camera. I can get it for around R1000 cheaper overseas before duties and vat etc so its probably not worth it.

Comment

No it's not worth it, go local

Comment

Hi

There is no customs and duty on photograghy equipment but only add V.A.T calculated @ 110% of the value. So it works out to about 17.5% additional charges plus the clearing fees that the courier service will charge you, normally about R150 but depends on the courier company.

Comment

hi
                        if u want to know of the dudies and fees u must pay, contact sars contact person, Claudette Davis [CDavis2@sars.gov.za]. she handles everything that is importing . u can also find her nr at the sars website.

thanks
                        circe

Comment

Working...
                        X