No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postal theft... Please detail your experience here!

I believe this thieving is now close to, if not already a crisis! We will only know the depth of the problem if there is a central location where everybody can record their experience!

Please add your experience that includes as much detail i.r.o PO locality, value etc. I have through the entire year, gone down the very frustrating and time consuming route of complaining verbally and corresponding to countless Managers, Team leaders, Section chiefs, Inspectorate investigators, their managers etc., etc., and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has come from this!

Too many lonely voices are no remedy- We MUST get the numbers together - it is imperative!- A growing number of UK senders now refuse to send to ZA!

I have had 12 international items sent to me between the 15th OCT and 6 Nov. Up to date only 4 have arrived intact - 6 have gone walkabout, now trace! - and 2 arrived opened! I'm livid and I sick and tired of getting the "shrug shoulder" response!

Yesterday a local buyer related that he has had a local shipment compromised and now this morning one of my buyers reported his package was tampered with. Coins packed in a specifically designed corrugated coin mailer I received from Aspen Coins in the USA. This was removed - only the re-taped envelope arrived. (Parkview PO).

This is only my second local mail theft but I fear that the intensity will increase with so many more value items in the system over the next month.

The new CEO of the PO mentioned in her Parliament speech on Monday stated that she is aware of ongoing "behavioral problems" but failed to say that been the crisis it is, that this problem area will be focused on and cleaned up with immediate effect. In fact, her attitude could well be interpreted as "we are aware but will simply monitor the problem and record it!- no problem my crooked employees -keep it up - its your annual bonus time"

This is absolutely unacceptable - I don't have the answers but at least by starting a log of theft experiences everybody can realise just how bad this problem is and from there the numbers will create a starting point of people power and subsequent action!

If you have had a problem - local and international or if you know of someone that has had a problem please encourage them to include their experience here! Simply email the link and ask to include detail such as PO sent and PO received as well as value of loss - even better if coin specifics are included!

I encourage co-operation as this will only benefit us all as my view is that this crisis is far worse than most believe and this option will at least bring the reality to the fore allowing our combined acknowledgment to stimulate the route to take.

We have to get the system overhauled!

This is a starting point and I will check up and interact with all through this thread on a daily basis

Thank you
    Hans Navratil - aka Hans100

[Edited]

Hi Hans100

I have not yet had anything stolen, but I have had a number of items that have arrived with the packaging in pieces or have visible signs of being tossed around.

I am not trying to hi-Jack your thread, but just wanted to mention that this treatment of the parcels helps them as the packaging is damaged and they can see whats inside. Then they just say it arrived like that.

So the handling of the parcels must also be improved.

regards
    Shane
    Regards, Shane
    A dedicated Web-Junkie who provides affordable internet services for ALL.
    My Listings on BoB

Comment

Any dissatisfaction- Please record

Hi Shane- No worries - you not Hijacking anything - This is not a class action as such but just an attempt to garner all complaints on one loaction - more in lines of a petition !
      Only then can we really get to grips with this PATHETIC state of affairs and only then if through this medium sufficient dissatisfcation is recorded can we take it to the media and get some exposure - we have to start somewhere and this is as good a place as any! Please spread the link and ask others to register their complaint/s
      Thanks again
      Hans

Comment

I am also waiting for a package from US that was sent on 5 November and still no trace - I am not saying that it went with somebody else, I just hope it will still get here in hopefully the next couple of days. Other parcells were received within 10 days.

In Elarduspark PO the other day an old lady complained about an envelope that was opened. The PO worker's reply was " It is the rain that did that to the envelope." And yes, there was a missing cheque!

Just wonder what the rain did with a cheque? Buy clouds?

Comment

Oh dear, you as well? I currently have in excess of 17 postal articles internationally which have NOT been delivered to me as of April 2006, the beginning of their order dates. I haven't complained because I know sometimes delivery can take a long time. But I am also reaching boiling point that if the thief should be found, I would barely be able to restrain my frustration. I've contemplated asking in future that all international packages be explicitly tracked, securely packaged and perhaps even insured. That, or to send it via Courier, because this nonsense really is getting out of hand! :x
          my dues paid and apologies offered, neither amend my actions, yet both ease my personal torment

Comment

glad to see

I am glad to see that we are not the only people hassling the post office about international parcels.

We pesevere as recently we had an international parcel that we received after three weeks. Normally we receive our parcels in ten to twelve days
            The one incident that truly upset me looking for this parcel was when the one employee asked if the parcel is insured as she was the secretary of the regional manager at our Main branch Post Office.
            I Believe....
            That it's taking me a long time To become the person I want to be.

Comment

Maybe we need to invent a small GPS tracking device that can be fitted inside the parcels.

Then we could follow it in real time online.

regards
              Shane
              Regards, Shane
              A dedicated Web-Junkie who provides affordable internet services for ALL.
              My Listings on BoB

Comment

you would be!

Hi Southerns

If you could invent something like that you would be a millionaire overnight.
                :D
                I Believe....
                That it's taking me a long time To become the person I want to be.

Comment

Thanks for input- Pleas encourage other to supplement here

Thv guys for your input! Ive just emailed one of my sellers to notify that my 3 week cut off has come by and have asked him to do standard recheck etc - I received one packet on Mon 19 that was sent on the 6th-also UK -Hence this packet sent on 2nd has crossed 21 days - no hope left.
                  Referring to you experience of total losses this year - well my stats are a nightmare. I had a particularly bad period 3weeks April/May when I lost approx 13 packets. Of those, 5 or 6 were "signed for" i.e registered with Track & trace- all very well tracking with Royal Mail but when they advise handed over for international collection - nothing more to add - that tells me culprits are readily collecting at OR Tambo! I changed my strategy and asked for packets to be sent ordinary mail to street address -100% success for 3 months - then 3 packets arrive torn open! I changed to Poste Restante -my Past office- last 3 months - hap-hazaed Two packets included stamps and postal cards
                  both were pened but nothing taken- one was even retaped closed! What a cheek! 2 packets sent same date from different UK zones that included coins - both failed to arrive. My point is that for lowish spend items $15 to $30 its uneconomical to pay signed for and take insurance !So I have taken responsibility (I have no doubt items were sent -these are 100% reputations with 4 to 5 figure counts!) I cant go crying for a refund !
                  Even if one asks to have a Royal Mail claim - This apparantly involves too much admin and takes a long time to process.
                  Once againif you know anybidy with similar problems - get then to add details here. If by year end we have 2 or 3 hundred confirmed incidences then we will have a solid story that electronic media WILL pay attention to!

Please any & everybody - we need to register all thefts here TIA

Comment

Re: you would be!

Originally posted by asecon
                    Hi Southerns

If you could invent something like that you would be a millionaire overnight.
                    In fact - millionaires were made long time ago! Tracking devices are around - just price prohibitive!The point is its no good learning that a package arrives at OR TAMBO or WITSPOS or CAPE MAIL then wham bam gone! WE already know that! In fact SAPO do have CCTY camera's and its a fact that theft has been recorded many a time - problem is that the powers that be in SAPO are either been intimidated, scared of unions- threat of downtime if prosecutions are enforced- so they tend to do a lot of wrist slapping! My belief is that presently its a free for all and the CCTY cameras are either switched off, been serviced or nobody wants to witness incidences and then have to report these transgressions. WE need to challenge the new management of SAPO right now . If the growing criminal element tests the management and they discover the opportunities will not be curtailed then its just a case of business as usual- In fact expect losses to multiply exponentially if not curbed. Just imagine yourself as a criminal for one minute _ The easier it is to go unchecked the more it will happen - I see you doing it so why dont I also join in Now we have a double digit figure of thieves within the operation - You know what -suddenly they become a force of power that few want to challenge! This is exactly where we are presently I cannot makes accusations without facts but I suggest that my views are taken seriously as I have heard enough from the people who have had experience or know of working conditions within to know this is exactly where the crisis stands right now . The problem lies with Management and only a force of a high numerical grouping with the help of public exposure can we demand and expect to see results! We need a high report list of losses Its the one and only ammunition that can get the SAPO board to act - otherwise its will carry omn the spin parade and we all suffer when the time arrives that SA addresses become to high risk = alternatively pay a courier R1200 for a 5oo gram package delivery!

Comment

I sent a customer services complaint form to SAPO about 2 hours back, and laid out all the facts and voiced my dissatisfaction with their service to the extent of their ears falling off. I've also advised that should I find any further problems with international deliveries that I would definitely be seeking legal advice to cover my losses, as several packages have been tracked to South Africa, which means they are "lost" by the SAPO's employees.

I've been so kind as to advise they forward my complaint to the regional manager so they can get an idea of just how serious I was about pressing charges or alternatively switching to courier services.

I'm also considering compiling a letter of complaint against SAPO to YOU Magazine's reader's section as well as to The Cape Times to get SAPO to wake up a bit.
                      my dues paid and apologies offered, neither amend my actions, yet both ease my personal torment

Comment

And don't forget about the hellopeter.com site - fantastic for complaints/compliments.

If you want action, then follow the online instructions. I've taken Mweb further and Foschini!

The post office (for lousy service levels) is on my to do list.

Comment

Case Study
                          South African Post Office : Improving Customer Service

"The SA Post Office is an example of a service organisation that has achieved remarkable improvements in its service delivery over the past three years."

Now here is some interesting reading, they are making a profit, so why care about our parcels. :x

http://www.psc.gov.za/docs/reports/1999/case.html

http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=612014
                          Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - Martin Luther King
                          See all my stuff up for grabs!

Comment

Just recaived my parcell from the US that was posted on 5 November this morning. So glad that it turned out ok for me this time.

If a parcell is registered and insured, can't you claim for your loss?

Comment

My goods from overseas always get banged up. You can see it was tossed etc...

even with fedex it gets the corners bent on hard boxes... Best is to always insure. :(

Comment

Working...
                              X