Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protest P.O. rule

Until last week I have been able to charge R25.00 for an INSURED ECONO parcel (less than 11cm thick and smallish).

A new Post Office rule states that you cannot insure an econo-parcel.

Since I send ALL my packets insured (no exceptions) I now have to send them as an ORDINARY parcel at R38.00 (30.20 + 2% + packaging).

This adds R10 to the cost of sending small items - in addition to the 2% insurance.

Is there any way we can protest about this rule?

:(
    Buying used goods is a higher form of recycling
    Items I have for sale.

Our branch still charges R18.15 plus the 2% for a PA (insured) sticker parcel.

Don't just accept what your branch tells you - confirm with another branch or two in your region before tackling the post master head-on with the facts!

PS. In the new booklet there is NOTHING to indicate or state that the 2% insurance is only applicable on the one postage option! It is a "value added service" applicable to ALL postage options listed "above" on pages 12 and 13! (Ordinary parcel and Econoparcel)
    Click here for great deals!

Comment

That's worrying.. A warning from the post office would have been nice. Will have to change my postage rates - I doubt people are going to opt for insurance now.. I don't think there's anything we can do - they were probably losing money on insurance claims & low postage costs. Nevermind the small fortune they make every day...;)
      I know not what World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks & stones - Albert Einstein.

Comment

Yes CALI, I have also considered trying another branch or five ... I am on very friendly terms with my local P O - have been using it for 20 years so I trust what they say.

They told me it was a verbal directive from 'above' - but perhaps I can find a branch where they don't listen very well ;)

On the other hand, as KEBS says, I have to change my rates anyway so I don't risk losing on shipping.
        Buying used goods is a higher form of recycling
        Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hi,

That is correct,you will no longer be able to insure econo packages,they must be sent out as insured ordinary packages.I have read the memo from my post office which came into effect,this weekend and as it has been addressed to ALL BRANCHES, I assume it will be only a matter of time,before it will start affecting other branches too.Unfortunately,I had to pay the extra to send it insured ordinary post even though it was under a kg
          Items I have for sale.

Comment

Well that means that buyers will just have to pay up, I guess. Sad. But econo mail items can still be sent REGISTERED mail if they are in padded envelopes, which does give them a degree more security!
            Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
            Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

You can still register your econo mail parcels and get a tracking number,but you can no longer insure econo mail packages/envelopes
              Items I have for sale.

Comment

Hopefully buyers will also be aware of this new policy & they won't think we're trying to rip them off with postage fees...
                I know not what World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks & stones - Albert Einstein.

Comment

Our post office havnt taken up any rule of that sort.
                  Took some envelopes today.
                  VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

What could their reason be for not insuring Economail?

Why don't we all contact the SAPO head office and complain?

SAPO Customer Service Feedback

I've sent a enquiry as to whether this is true or not. Lets see if they respond.
                    Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

When I went to my local branch today I enquired directly with the post mistress and she said that there is no memo or message from anyone regarding any changes. The system still gives the operator the option to select insured econoparcel or insured ordinary parcel!

Same "old" principle applies as per the new booklet - econoparcel or ordinary parcel with the 2% insurance added. She did note though that the only time a "light" parcel would be sent as ordinary parcel post is if the dimensions exceeded those given in the booklet!

Sizes:
                      Econoparcel - Maximum 458mm x 324mm x 100mm, with a weight less than 1kg.
                      Ordinary parcel - larger than 353mm x 250mm x 30mm and / or over 1kg with a max length of 1m! (volumetric "weight" calculation)
                      Click here for great deals!

Comment

Originally posted by DreamBeadz View Post
                        Hi,

That is correct,you will no longer be able to insure econo packages,they must be sent out as insured ordinary packages.I have read the memo from my post office which came into effect,this weekend and as it has been addressed to ALL BRANCHES, I assume it will be only a matter of time,before it will start affecting other branches too.Unfortunately,I had to pay the extra to send it insured ordinary post even though it was under a kg
                        I got the same info from my post office last week.
                        No insured econo parcel anymore.

At the same time, I was also informed that they will now be charging for collection of any returned parcels as well, the same tariff that we paid to send the parcel.

I said that I flat-out refuse to pay this as most of the returned parcels I get are never claimed by the buyers, even though I send numerous emails, etc.

I told them that I would find out who the addressee was and if they pay the double postage - which is what it will now be - I will collect the parcel and post it back to them.

As I already have such a poor response regarding returned parcels, I can't see any buyers being willing to pay double postage.

I don't know what the post office is going to do with the returned parcels that are going to pile up uncollected.

I protest this as well, not fair.
                        VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

Originally posted by Cali Craft and Gems View Post
                          When I went to my local branch today I enquired directly with the post mistress and she said that there is no memo or message from anyone regarding any changes. The system still gives the operator the option to select insured econoparcel or insured ordinary parcel!

Same "old" principle applies as per the new booklet - econoparcel or ordinary parcel with the 2% insurance added. She did note though that the only time a "light" parcel would be sent as ordinary parcel post is if the dimensions exceeded those given in the booklet!

Sizes:
                          Econoparcel - Maximum 458mm x 324mm x 100mm, with a weight less than 1kg.
                          Ordinary parcel - larger than 353mm x 250mm x 30mm and / or over 1kg with a max length of 1m! (volumetric "weight" calculation)

I just checked and nothing has changed on my Post Office side - I posted yesterday again - let's hope that they stay un-informed. My Post Master would tell me if there is a change (when they find out) - I am there more than some of his staff :-)

Renaldo

View my auctions in the Coins & Notes section

Comment

Originally posted by mellowred View Post
                            Lets see if they respond.
                            Don't hold your breath.
                            bidorbuy Forum Administrator

bidorbuy.co.za - Africa's largest market place.
                            bidorbuy on Facebook ~ What's hot on bidorbuy

< TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE US A GOOD RATING

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                              Don't hold your breath.
                              Nah I can't, that would interfere with my ciggies :p
                              Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

Working...
                              X