Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP versus Win 7 Ultimate

Thinking of upgrading from Win XP Pro to Win 7 Ultimate, is it worth it ?
    bidorbuy Forum Administrator

bidorbuy.co.za - Africa's largest market place.
    bidorbuy on Facebook ~ What's hot on bidorbuy

< TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE US A GOOD RATING

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!
    See all jewellery from Asha Craft!

"The purest form of love comes from your children."

Comment

I have a new laptop with Win 7 Basic on it and that alone is definitely worth it.

I love the new interface.
      It's a bit different, but alot better and much nicer to use.

One thing, though, you can't upgrade directly from XP to Win 7, and especially not directly to Ultimate. From what techs have told me, Win 7 needs to be loaded "next to" XP and then everything migrated across or your system will crash. Also it needs a minimum of 2Gb RAM to run properly.

I'm not sure exact what's involved, but it's better to get a professional to load it on a new system and then load all your programs on top of that.

If you do decide to get it and get it installed properly, you'll be more than happy.
      VIEW MY ITEMS!

Comment

I'm sorry, but I've been using Win 7 ultimate for two months now and decided tonight i'm loading xp pro back on. It's nice with all the gimicks, but none of my games work, because they are a bit old (shhhht ;) ) and you can't network with another computer that doesn't ALSO run Win 7. We tried it and couldn't get printer sharing for example. Googled for a couple of hours, and found out it is impossible to link from XP to Win 7. Only visa verca can be done. And alot of the nice things from XP pro that made me comfortable with the OS, was obliterated when I got the pre-installed Win 7 ultimate OS. Took me ages to master it, and I'm usually quick to learn. Now it seems, that XP pro is still the best.

So yes, I might be steering you wrong if you like the newest of gadgets and widgets and nonsense, but XP pro will always be nr 1 in my book.....

Start throwing stones, I don't care. ;)

Comment

I've heard similar complaints about Windows 7.. People who have bought a new pc with it installed & are not used to xp seem fine with it.. Those of us who are happily plodding along with our xp seem to be having adaption issues with 7.. I'll be sticking to xp...:D
          I know not what World War 3 will be fought with, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks & stones - Albert Einstein.

Comment

I'm another fan of XP. Shuddering to think of how I'd cope with an upgraded system when I still don't know all the ins and outs of this one.
            Yesterday I was clever and wanted to change the world.
            Today I am wise and am changing myself.

Comment

Win 7 far better than XP - just be sure of the hardware installed that you will be able to run 7 without any hiccups. A lot of people struggle with upgrading though and if your planning to buy a new computer in the near future i would suggest to buy it pre-installed. As for old games should be able to run in compatibility in Win 7, and as for the network issues, if you are just looking for a personal computer and don't want to run it on a network, then those issues is not a factor. I love XP but once you've work with something else for a couple of months then it's hard to go back - just feels like you went back in time. Also can't stay on XP forever as everything else move's on - no support, updates, software being created for new OS, games, hardware and what not. The older it gets the more incompatible it will start to become. Good luck;)
              Jacque31

Comment

Yeah that's the only reason why I haven't formatted yet and went back to XP. (Still seriously considering it though!) Rumour has it that most of the new software and games will only be compatible with Win 7. Seems like MS realised they made XP tooooooo good... ;)

Comment

Yip Win XP is a classic. That OS was build with passion and to move forward - the newer attempts is focused on money making. Don't get me wrong i love the newer OS but for it's time XP is far superior. Would think think after all this time MS would have improved a lot. I mean look how old XP is and the newer OS has loads more problems and bugs. So both are pretty equal to me but for an old timer XP still kicks some @$$:p
                  Jacque31

Comment

Upgrade? What's that?
                    Obligatory link to my listings.

Comment

Originally posted by RISadler View Post
                      Upgrade? What's that?
                      It is like upgrading from a Canon PowerShot A620 with a Canon 250D close-up filter to a DSLR ;):p

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                        It is like upgrading from a Canon PowerShot A620 with a Canon 250D close-up filter to a DSLR ;):p
                        Oh, you mean paying more for something that does less?

Comment

:Dhehe:p

Comment

A preference for XP also has a lot to do with our age. We are used to thinking and telling the PC what we want. Win 7 thinks for you. Possibly because most under 35s have had the luxury of a PC their whole lives and are used to following it's instructions.

I still want to tell the damned thing how to operate :p.

I have this problem with MS Office 2007 too. Much prefer my 2003 version.

Even at the ripe old age of 45++ I learn very quick but find these "upgrades" annoying. Hope XP and 2003 survive long enough for me to die using them ;).
                            Items I have for sale.

Why do today what you can put off till next year?

Comment

I still fondly remember when my 'puter greeted me with A:\ every morning. And then there was the huge leap into the future when it changed to C:\ and all the possibilities of a whopping 20MB of storage. Ag ja, I suppose you had to be there.

Comment

Working...
                              X