Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  • Thread: Diffused ruby for R37500 anyone? (23 Posts)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiemsJewels View Post
    LOL Vortechz, Theunissen is a town in the Free State!!

LMAO, misread it "Blush"

I mean did Gml buy it from you?
    Numismatics: "A pursuit involving a veneer of scholarship hiding a core of greed."

Post Thanks / Like

Natural rubies that undergone heat treatment and/or lead filling is now going for about R16,000.00 per carat
    I wish i lived on his planet, that is about the price for heated Burmese rubies per carat. He is talking balony, plain and simple.

Average retail value

Gemstone variety: Ruby
    Weight: 1.00 cts.
    Color: 220 - medium slightly purplish Red; strong (Burma, heated)
    Clarity: VVS, Eye clean 1
    Cut: Excellent
    Shape: Oval
    Value: USD 2,507.21

Valuation date: 21 Feb 2012

Value of Madagascan fracture filled ruby? less than $10 per ct. last i had a stone valuated for a client it was a 5ct top red stone.

Is the stone is authentic? vss rubies are expensive and rare. It can be that it is a vss other color 20+ct sapphire that they diffused red, however the likeliness of that is astronomical. It is most probably synthetic just like this stone on auction today:

Rubies - **LATE LISTING** AWESOME AND AMAZING BLOOD RED RUBY - OVAL CUT - MADAGASCAR - 22.75ct for sale in Elsburg (ID:58971895)

It most probably a synthetic stone like this:

Rubies - CHATHAM RUBY SALE @ R1 START - 22.50CT - FLAWLESS - OVAL CUT - BLOOD RED for sale in Pretoria / Tshwane (ID:58998501)

I think i should mention that sellers are legally binded to gemstone sales, presenting gems under false pretenses i.e a synthetic stone as "from Madagascar" is fraud.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GemDeals View Post
    I wish i lived on his planet, that is about the price for heated Burmese rubies per carat. He is talking balony, plain and simple.

Value of Madagascan fracture filled ruby? less than $10 per ct. last i had a stone valuated for a client it was a 5ct top red stone.

Is the stone is authentic? vss rubies are expensive and rare. It can be that it is a vss other color 20+ct sapphire that they diffused red, however the likeliness of that is astronomical. It is most probably synthetic just like this stone on auction today:

Rubies - **LATE LISTING** AWESOME AND AMAZING BLOOD RED RUBY - OVAL CUT - MADAGASCAR - 22.75ct for sale in Elsburg (ID:58971895)

It most probably a synthetic stone like this:

Rubies - CHATHAM RUBY SALE @ R1 START - 22.50CT - FLAWLESS - OVAL CUT - BLOOD RED for sale in Pretoria / Tshwane (ID:58998501)

I think i should mention that sellers are legally binded to gemstone sales, presenting gems under false pretenses i.e a synthetic stone as "from Madagascar" is fraud.
    Hi Gemdeals, I am sure this sellers got the descriptions from their suppliers! Then the suppliers must have sold it to them under false pretences! What now?

I forgot to mention that both the sellers have 100% positive ratings! Only a few neutrals.
    Last edited by MiemsJewels; 21-02-12 at 21:50.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wish everyone took the time to take a few stones of each supplier to a certified gemologist. I think the seller is at least partially responsible for the items he sells. I just hope the buyer of that R40 000 ruby will have it certified and appraised, or he is set for some hard times when he has to sell it.

I think on the rating's, not a lot of buyers even have their stones certified because of the expense and effort. Sad really..

Post Thanks / Like

I sent away a number of Gemstones bought on BoB for Certification a couple of years ago, from memory about 15% were Hydrothermal Stones and about 10% were different gems to those specified by the Seller(s).

Hence I am no longer a buyer of Gemstones!!!

Also large diamonds bought for my wife were bought from reputable dealers and were independently Certified.
    My age is but an irrelevant number !
    Items I am selling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alloway65 View Post
    I sent away a number of Gemstones bought on BoB for Certification a couple of years ago, from memory about 15% were Hydrothermal Stones and about 10% were different gems to those specified by the Seller(s).

Hence I am no longer a buyer of Gemstones!!!

Also large diamonds bought for my wife were bought from reputable dealers and were independently Certified.
    Correct Alloway! You can buy my stones with confident, definitly NOT hydrothermal! They are ALL bought from reputable dealers!

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently decided to have all my tanzanite stones sent to EGL in CT for authentification. As for diamonds, I take them to a jeweler (with the certificate from the supplier) just for my own peace of mind. Obviously there are costs involved, but then you either work it into your selling price or offer the certificate at an extra charge.
    The main core is to purchase from reputable sellers and unfortunately not all e-bay sellers are very honest. To most of them it's about the money.
    Build up a good relationship with an honest supplier and you'll find that buyers will be more comfortable with purchasing high priced items from you.
    There is an old saying...it costs money to make money. Take the time and effort and make sure you know what you are selling.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good idea Miss Jewels. My only problem is, I must drive to Johannesburg, or send it through the post, to get a certificate Risky business! WITSPOS!